Brandeis Study Abroad Account
Office of Study Abroad
International Business School, MS 032
Abel Flint '15 spent a semester abroad in China studying business, economics and culture. Find out more about his experience here.
Study Abroad Ambassadors
Want to learn more about studying abroad with a major or minor in Business? Contact a Study Abroad Ambassador for more information.
There are many wonderful options all over the world for Business majors and minors to study abroad. Studying abroad contributes to gaining the cultural experience needed to succeed in the global economy. As a student studying abroad your primary purpose should be learn the culture and business practices of your given country. This will enhance your knowledge of the world and ensure your success in the field of business. This page contains information that will assist Business majors and minors determining how to integrate study abroad into their Brandeis careers.
Generally, students who study abroad for one semester have little difficulty completing the Business major or minor. Those who choose to study abroad for an entire year will have to work with their advisor or the Study Abroad Liaison to develop a plan that will allow them to finish the major on time, but this is possible.
1. Can I receive Business credit for courses taken overseas?
Yes, there are appropriate courses for Business program credit at universities in the Brandeis Study Abroad Program. It is important to remember that your primary purpose studying abroad should be learning the culture and business environment in your given country, not fulfilling major/minor requirements.
2. What is the best strategy for planning courses for my Business program while I study abroad?
Generally, the best strategy is to take courses thematically similar to Brandeis Business electives. Required, core Business courses Bus 6a, Bus 10a, Bus 120a, Bus 152a, Bus 71a, and Bus 172a must be taken at Brandeis. Please visit the Registrar's Office website for the most up-to-date program requirements. For the Business program's requirements, click here.3. What courses are most recommended for study abroad?
When you are choosing courses for study abroad, select a course that would fall into one of the Thematic Electives sub-heads (such as those in sub-head III.A: Communications, Commerce, and Culture courses, Law and Government courses, or Environment, Health and Social Policy courses). Courses should be full semester courses of comparable academic rigor to those offered at Brandeis.
To request courses in Thematic Elective sub-head section III.B (Business Administration), please contact the Study Abroad Liaison and the Brandeis faculty member who teaches the equivalent of that class for approval.
4. How do I get courses pre-approved so that I am assured to get Brandeis Business program credit while I study abroad?
It is important to have all study abroad courses pre-approved by the faculty liaison for the Business program, Detlev Suderow.
- To ensure your courses are appropriate for major/minor credit you must make an appointment with Professor Suderow.
- After making an appointment, send the syllabus (not course descriptions) for each course you are planning to take abroad that you hope can be counted towards your Business program. Please, bring these syllabi with you to your appointment with Professor Suderow.
- Courses will be evaluated in a timely fashion. You will know before you go abroad which courses will or will not count toward your Business major or minor. Be mindful of the time of the year, this request should be submitted prior to the last 2 to 3 weeks of the semester.
5. What if the course I have had pre-approved is no longer available or appropriate when I get to my study abroad location?
If your plans change for any reason, send the Business study abroad liaison an email with the syllabi for a new course options you are considering as soon as possible at or before the start of the semester. This will help to prevent disappointment when you return, approval for these new courses are not guaranteed.6. Is there a minimum grade I need to earn to get Brandeis Business program credit?
To receive course credit for pre-approved courses taken abroad you must earn at least a C+.
7. I haven't been accepted into the Business major program yet but want to apply to study abroad, what should I do?
For now, make sure that you're declared with the Business minor and continue with the process of getting the classes you hope to take approved. When applying for approval to study abroad, you are required to have another declared major in case you're not accepted into the Business major program.
- CIEE/ Business and Culture Program
- DIS/ International Business
- Alliance/ Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- CIEE/ Sao Paulo: Business and Culture
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Visit the Brandeis Approved Programs List to review a comprehensive list of programs that offer Business coursework. Click on "Advanced Search" to find programs with internship options.
To assist students with their academic choices abroad and to help answer any questions about receiving major/ minor credit while abroad, each academic department and program has assigned a faculty member to serve as the Study Abroad Liaison. Business majors who plan to study abroad should speak with the study abroad liaison before they go abroad, and again once they have returned from study abroad.
The liaison for Business is Prof. Detlev Suderow
Students wishing to receive Business credit for work done off campus during the academic year should discuss their desired coursework with the Study Abroad Liaison for Business prior to studying abroad. After returning from abroad, download and complete the electronic Petition to Request Substitution for a Requirement form and then request to meet with the Study Abroad Liaison.
Visit the Study Abroad Financial Information page to read more about funding your study abroad experience.