For More Information or to See if You Qualify
Senior Reduced Status must be declared in person by going to the Registrar's Office in Kutz 121 and filling out the necessary paperwork.
The deadline is always November 5. If November 5 falls on a weekend, then the paperwork must be filled out and turned in by the Friday before November 5.
Contact Sheila Reeder, Assistant Registrar, or stop by the Registrar's Office at Kutz 124.
Senior Reduced Status
Senior Reduced Status is a classification that allows qualified seniors to be a part time student in their 8th semester and pay a per-class fee rather than the full semester tuition.
The following categories of students are not eligible for Senior Reduced Status:
1. Students who have studied abroad for a full year.
2. Students who are in BA/MA or BS/MS programs.
Cost of classes: Each class costs 25% of the full semester tuition. In 2008-2009 the cost is $4515.25/class. There is no reduction in any other charges (room, board, fees, etc).
By the end of your 7th semester you must have:
- Completed at least one major
- Earned 128 credits
- Completed all university requirements, including 7 semesters of residency
Exceptions to the Above Qualifications:
- Students completing a two semester honors thesis can qualify if all that remains for completing their major is the second semester of their thesis. They must have completed 124 credits at the end of the 7th semester and qualification #3 must still be met.
- Studio Art Majors can qualify if all that remains for completing their major is taking FA 110b in their 8thsemester. In both cases,124 credits must have been completed by the end of the 7th semester and qualification #3 from above must still be met.
- HSSP Majors can qualify if all that remains for completing their major is taking HSSP 110b in their 8th semester. 124 credits must have been completed by the end of the 7th semester and qualification #3 from above must still be met.
Course Load Requirement: There is no minimum course load requirement. Students can take as few as one class or as many as 3 classes under Senior Reduced Status. If 4 classes are taken, regular semester tuition is charged.
Completing Additional Majors or Minors: While on Senior Reduced Status, you may complete additional majors, minors and/or a thesis.
How to apply:
You may fill out an application for Senior Reduced Status beginning the day after add/drop ends in September. You must go to the Registrar’s office in person and meet with Sheila Reeder, Assistant Registrar, who will determine if you meet the qualifications. The deadline for applying is November 5th. If November 5th occurs on a weekend the deadline is the last weekday before the 5th.
1. For students covered under their parent’s health insurance: Some insurance companies will only cover dependents over the age of 19 if they are full time students. Check with your insurance company to see how part-time status affects your coverage. Brandeis considers you a full time student if you enrolled in 12 credits (3 classes) so by taking one or two classes you will be considered a part-time student.
*Health Coverage purchased through Brandeis University is not affected by part-time student status.
2. Students receiving merit-based scholarships or other financial aid should check with Student Financial Services to see how part-time status will affect their aid.