Tips from Former IIM Majors
“When designing your own major, it is important to take advantage of the knowledge and experience that many faculty members have with the process. I would not recommend trying to develop a major all alone; it will be a much less stressful process if you use all the resources available to you. Many faculty members have successfully helped students get their majors approved; they can offer extremely beneficial guidance and feedback based on past successes and failures.”
Sharon Barotz ‘06 - “Environmental Studies: Ecology & Conservation”
1. Review our list of frequently asked questions.
2. Print and read the IIM checklist.
3. Schedule an appointment with Julia Moffitt, IIM Coordinator, by calling 781-736-3470. Julia can help guide you through the IIM proposal process from start to finish.
4. Approach faculty members about possibly serving as one of your three IIM advisors. Bring give them a copy of the Memo to Faculty Advisors, which explains the program and the faculty member's responsibilities as an advisor.
Submitting a Proposal
Complete proposals include:
- IIM Application (this includes a cover sheet and your proposed course curriculum)
- a written proposal
- a signed letter of support from your faculty advisors
- a copy of 3-6 comparable program descriptions from other colleges/universities
Proposals must be submitted to the IIM Coordinator in Academic Services, Usdan 130.
IIM proposals are reviewed once each semester by the IIM sub-committee. The IIM sub-committee is made up of four faculty members, one from each of the four schools (Science, Humanities, Social Science, and Creative Arts), the Senior Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences for Undergraduate Education, and the IIM Coordinator in the Office of Academic Services. They meet once a semester to review student’s proposals and make final approvals. The sub-committee pays careful attention to the interdisciplinary and liberal arts context of the IIM, the coherence of the set of classes, and how the IIM fits into the student's overall academic plan.
Current IIM Students
If you are a current IIM major, here are some helpful resources:
Making any course changes to your IIM? First, speak with your primary facutly IIM advisor about any course changes or substitutions you plan to make. Then complete the course revision form and submit it to the IIM Coordinator.