Become a Peer Mentor
SSSP Mentors exhibit genuine concern about the academic progress and success of first-year students by being supportive and attentive to their social, cultural, and academic well-being at Brandeis. They are also responsible for actively making the Peer Mentorship program and SSSP a supportive community.
• Responsible and reliable
• Energetic and enthusiastic
• A good listener
• Academically comfortable (GPA of 2.7 or above)
• An active participant in SSSP
If so, you could be a SSSP Peer Mentor!
- Act as a general source of information for first-year SSSP members, individually and in small groups
- Outreach to each of your mentees as soon as they are assigned and at least once per week during the year, in person
- Assist in facilitating SSSP Pre-Orientation (requires arrival on campus prior to general returning student move-in)
- Assist in first-year student Learning Community by planning and attending workshops
- Introduce your mentees to campus resources (the Shapiro Center, Intercultural Center, Hiatt, etc.) and SSSP
- Collaborate on programming, in small groups, and for all first-year SSSP students
- Participate in mentor/mentee events (at least one each semester)
- Attend required training, planning and supervision sessions (at least three per semester)
- Communicate promptly with the Program Coordinator about any concerns or problems
- Participate in the larger SSSP community, as a leader and role model
- Complete detailed contact logs and turn in time sheets weekly
- Complete an end of the semester evaluation and end-of-year review
How to apply:
- Attend an mandatory INFO SESSION about the position
- Complete a Peer Mentor application
- Submit a current resume
- Submit one letter of recommendation from a Brandeis Faculty or non-SSSP staff member.
All students interested in becoming a Peer Mentor are required to attend an info session. To find out more about the position and/or sign up for an info session, please email Katherine Julian, Program Advisor, Student Support Services, at email@example.com.