Brandeis has a test-flexible policy and no longer requires that domestic applicants submit SAT or ACT scores for the purposes of admission. This policy allows applicants to decide for themselves whether their test results accurately reflect their academic ability and potential and is consistent with recommendations from the National Association for College Admissions Counseling.
Eligible applicants can choose one of the following three submission options:
Option 1: Submit SAT with writing or ACT with writing
Option 2: Submit a combination of three SAT Subject Tests and/or AP tests (or IB exams) from each of the following categories:
- Science or Math (Math must be standard level or higher for IB exam)
- English, History, Languages, Arts or Social Sciences (English must be A1 for IB exam)
- Your Choice: one test in a discipline different from the other two
Option 3: Submit an academic portfolio through the Common Application including:
- One graded analytical paper from 11th or 12th grade (expository writing, essay exams, or research papers. Does not include creative writing.)
- A second academic Teacher Evaluation (written by an academic teacher from 11th or 12th grade courses)
- For files larger than 500KB you may submit your graded analytical paper after Common Application submission through your DEISconnect account, which will be created after submitting your application
Some applicants are not eligible for the test–flexible policy and are required to submit standardized test scores.
- Home-schooled applicants and candidates applying from secondary schools that provide written evaluations rather than grades are required to submit the SAT or the ACT test with the writing section.
- All international applicants must submit either the SAT or the ACT test with the writing section. Additionally, international students for whom English is not a native language should submit results from either the TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants who, for four or more years, have attended a high school where the primary language of instruction is English may request to waive this requirement on their DEISConnect page.
Please note: Because standardized test results are used for Brandeis's ongoing research into the relationship between standardized testing and success at Brandeis, all entering first-year students must submit scores over the summer prior to matriculating at Brandeis.