For the 2012-13 academic year, the Brandeis Arts Council awarded grants to the Fine Arts department for a speaker series; grants for summer study for juniors; and a trip to New York City for seniors. The Theater Arts department received grants for a physical training workshop leading to a performance in February 2013, and for design and creative support for the Brandeis Theater Company production "Visions of an Ancient Dreamer." The Music department received grants to support the MusicUnitesUS fall and spring residencies; a course in African dance and drumming; and a residency by the Genkin Philharmonic.
The Brandeis Arts Council provides grants to support outstanding performances, exhibitions and programs in the School of Creative Arts. Its mission is to enhance the quality and diversity of the arts at Brandeis through the combined annual contributions of its members.
Council grants support exceptional creative needs and opportunities for artistic development that directly benefit students. The council is dedicated to fostering the excellence of each creative arts department, as well as a shared vision for the arts at Brandeis.
Guidelines for Applicants
Departments in the School of Creative Arts may apply for funding from the Brandeis Arts Council. Each department may submit up to three grant applications. Funds must be used by May 31 of the academic year in which they were awarded.
Funds may be used for:
- Curricular needs or opportunities unique to making and studying art (including travel; materials; adjunct faculty; master classes and workshops; experiencing or attending arts programs and events)
- Guest artists/lecturers/performers and residencies (including transportation, hospitality, and technical support)
- Arts events and programming (including augmentation to production, exhibition, or concert budgets)
- Purchase of specialized equipment, materials, and instructional aids
Funds may not be used for:
- Reimbursement for programs or events that have already occurred
- Consortium payments or membership renewals
- Development, marketing, or recruitment efforts
- Faculty research/projects
- Faculty or graduate student travel grants
- Capital improvements
- Consultant fees
Applications must be first submitted to the department chair for approval. Each department may submit up to three applications each year.
The Brandeis Arts Council, comprised of alumni and parents, will review and rank all applications. From their recommendations, the final decision will rest with the Provost.
Criteria for selection include:
- Benefits to students in the department
- Fulfillment of curricular needs and/or artistic aspirations not otherwise addressed
- Artistic significance of the project
- Potential impact on Brandeis and the larger academic, artistic, and cultural community
- Inclusiveness and global perspective
- Interdisciplinary potential
For more information, contact Scott Edmiston in the Office of the Arts.