Brandeis University Chartstring
The Brandeis University Chart of Accounts, or Chartsting, enables the University to record and track financial information via the PeopleSoft Financial application.
The Chartstring tells us the Who, What, Where and How of any transaction posting to the University General Ledger. It provides details of any financial transaction taking place and includes the following:
|Account Code||Fund Number||Department ID||Program Number||Project or Grant Number|
Budget Account Codes
For a complete list of actual transaction account codes, please visit the Chart of Accounts webpage.
- Fund 11 Unrestricted Operations (Use for Opex)
- Fund 12 Unrestricted Capital Projects
- Fund 13 Pass Throughs (Student Activities)
- Fund 14 Brandeis National Committee
- Fund 15 Unrestricted Federally Sponsored (Grants)
- Fund 16 Unrestricted NonFederally Sponsored (Grants)
"Who" Will have 5 digits. Often referred to as the DeptID. This number identifies which Department is posting the transaction.
"How" Will have 5 digits. Describes how the transaction is being funded. Whether the money is coming from a gift, an endowment, etc.
- Program 11000 University Operating Funds
- Program 12000 Capital Projects Funded by University
- Program 40000 Grants
- Program 14xxx Brandeis National Committee
- Program 2xxxx Gifts
- Program 49xxx Discretionary Funds
- Program 6xxxx Endowment Funds
If you receive gifts, please contact Paula Lee at x64128 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ONLY USED FOR CAPITAL PROJECTS AND GRANTS
- Project number has 9 digits
- Identifies the transaction as part of a capital project
- Used with Fund 12
- Project Numbers are issued by Office of Budget & Planning, ext. 68312
- Project number has 6 digits, usually of the form 40xxxx or 43xxxx
- Identifies the transaction as part of a grant
- Used with Funds 15&16
- Grant Numbers are issued by Sponsored Program Accounting, ext. 64484