Cascade CMS User Guide
The Cascade CMS User Guide (PDF) includes best practices for creating and editing web content.
Working with Images
As a reminder, editors should only use images for which Brandeis holds the copyright (taken by the university photographer) or stock images that they have purchased rights to use. We recommend iStockphoto. It is affordable and has a substantial database of images.
Images should be resized to the correct dimensions needed on your site. Do not upload large files (multiple megabytes). We recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements for resizing images. This software can be purchased through LTS. If this software is not available to you, you can use PicResize, a free, web-based product that was created by a Brandeis graduate student.
You may use the following as a quick reference for your images:
Main Content Images
- Horizontal image width: 200 pixels
- Vertical image width: 115 pixels
- Horizontal slideshow images: 397 pixels wide by 266 pixels high
- Vertical slideshow images: 266 pixels high (width may vary but should not exceed 397 pixels)
Images placed in the sidebar are meant to be small and not detract from the main content area.
- Width: No more than 75 pixels if text will wrap around the image
- Width: No more than 115 pixels if text will appear above or below the image
The slideshow is 397 pixels wide by 266 pixels high. A black background is applied to vertical images, which should also be resized to 266 pixels high. Images that are not resized to these dimensions will look blurry or distorted in the slideshow.
Image Color Format
Images must be in RGB color format. If you upload an image and see a text error instead of the image in View/Preview, you may have uploaded an image in CMYK color format.