Bachelor of Arts Requirements
The minimum requirements for the computer science major are nine courses:
- Five core courses: COSI 11a, 12b, 21a , 29a, and 131a.
- Electives: At least four additional COSI courses, excluding 99d, and one may be cross-listed. No COSI course numbered 10 or lower may be used toward the major.
Bachelor of Science Requirements
The minimum requirement for the computer science major are fourteen courses:
- Seven core courses: COSI 11a, 12b, 21a, 29a, 121b, 130a and 131a.
- Mathematics courses: Math 8a (or MATH 36a) and 10a.
- Electives: at least five additional COSI courses, excluding 99d, and up to two courses can be cross-listed. No COSI course numbered 10 or lower may be used toward the major.
Additional Notes for the Major
- No course with a final grade below C- can count toward fulfilling the requirements for the major in computer science.
- No course taken pass/fail may count toward requirements for the major.
- Students may be exempted from COSI 11a if they either: 1) received a score of 5 on the AP Computer Science exam, or 2) successfully complete a COSI 11a placement exam. For more information about the placement exam and course exemptions, please see Advising FAQs. Note that all students who are exempted from 11a must take an additional elective that qualifies for the major.
Graduation with honors in computer science requires completion and defense of a senior honors thesis; students considering this option should take note of the prerequisites for enrollment in COSI 99d (Senior Research).