NEJS 5a Exemption Exam
Foundational Course in Jewish Studies
You may become exempt from taking NEJS 5a, a required course for the NEJS major, by passing the three-hour exemption exam. Students who pass the exam may take another course instead. Click on the following link to access a syllabus and study guide.
- The exam will be given twice a year, within the first two weeks of each semester.
- Any undergraduate student may take this exam, but it is not prudent for students to wait until senior year to do so.
- The exam date is inflexible; it will be given in a proctored setting, and its date will be announced at least one month in advance.
- The version of the exam given and graded in any semester/year will be that of the NEJS faculty member teaching the course that semester/year.
- Students may take the exam no more than twice.
- Only students who receive a B- (80) or higher will be exempt.
- Study sheets for each exam are available in the NEJS office and on the NEJS website.
Contact Joanne Arnish at 781-736-2950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for the exam.
Biblical Hebrew Grammar and Texts
For information on taking an exemption exam for NEJS 10a, please contact Prof. Marc Brettler, email@example.com.