Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All / Collapse All


Whom should I ask...?

You can always ask Katie, the ROMS Academic Administrator, by email at, in person by visiting her office in Shiffman 108, or by phone at x63232. But first you might check the FAQs below in case one of them answers your question. (Thank you!)

(return to top)

How do I get a copy of the academic calendar?

You can access the academic calendar as a list on the Registrar's website or in Google calendar.

Even better, you can subscribe to the academic calendar and see it superimposed on your own calendar by following these instructions.

(return to top)

How do I find out about Romance Studies meetings and events?

Find them on the faculty calendar on the ROMS website under Faculty Resources AND subscribe by clicking

at the bottom of the calendar on the ROMS Faculty Calendar page.

(return to top)


What resources are available for students seeking career advice?

The Hiatt Career Center has provided some tools, resources and partners to help advise students about their career pathways.

Faculty Liaison Program
Each member of the Hiatt Career Center staff serves as a liaison to academic departments and programs to share mutually beneficial information, referrals, programming and services. The Hiatt Career Center Liaison  for Romance Studies is Jane Pavese, who can be contacted at or x63624.

(return to top)


My classroom is too hot/cold/noisy/smelly. What can I do?

Contact facilities at x64385.

(return to top)

The computer, DVD, or projector is not working. What should I do?

Call Media Services at x64632 or send an e-mail to Tim O'Neil at

(return to top)

Where can I get working markers for the white board/chalk for the chalkboard in my classroom?

Markers, chalk, pens, letterhead, envelopes, etc. are located in Shiffman 107 in the middle of the bottom shelf on the left-hand wall as you enter the office. If you notice that supplies are running low, please let someone in the office know.

(return to top)

How can I reserve a classroom for an extra study session or other event?

If you need to reserve a classroom, please email Ellen or Katie with your request. Please make sure you plan meeting or event times according to the block system and specify in your email exactly why you need the room reservation and approximately how many people will attend.

(return to top)

I'm showing a film in class. Do I have to stay in the classroom?

It is important that a faculty member be present for film showings. Serious security issues may arise when students are left alone in Shiffman at night or even during the day.

(return to top)


We are out of paper, the copier is jammed or otherwise not working, and the office is closed or busy. What do I do?

Extra paper is under the table to the right of the copier. If the copier is jammed, try to unjam it by following the steps on the screen. If that doesn't work, ask Ellen or student workers in 107/108; or if all else fails, call x64500 (Procurement) and report the problem. You will need our Shiffman 121 Konica Copier ID: CB096.

(return to top)


How do I get my e-mail address, change my email password, access my email?

Brandeis UNET Account tools will allow you to establish a U-Net account (which is also your email address) as well as change your password, access your email, register your computer on the Brandeis network, etc.

(return to top)

I want to change my password for my e-mail, where do I go?

Click here for the link to the form.

(return to top)

Can I use Thunderbird or another mail client with my Brandeis email account?

You will need to configure the program that you are using to connect to the Brandeis server by getting the incoming and outgoing address. You will find all the information you will need on the LTS Gmail page. We recommend using Mozilla Thunderbird as your e-mail program. Download the latest version, then use these instructions to configure it to the Brandeis server.

(return to top)

How do I get my Brandeis e-mail to work from home?

Just log in at this page with your email UNET ID (which is everything before the @ symbol of your Brandeis email address). If you wish to install Thunderbird on your home computer: first, download the most recent version of Thunderbird and then follow these instructions.

(return to top)


My computer is very slow or a program will not work properly. Can someone come and see what is wrong with it?

You may contact the LTS help desk at x64357 (6HELP). But, you should also help by performing simple, regular maintenance on your computer.

  • For PC users, regular defragmenting and disk cleanup (found under system tools) should be done monthly.

  • For both PC and Mac users: make sure to schedule your computer to receive automatic Microsoft, Firefox, and other application updates. And, accept them when you receive them.

  • Staff / Faculty can install the latest version of Office on any University-owned computer by downloading the installer from the University On the Hub Store (Software instructions).

(return to top)


How do I set up my voicemail?

Please see the instructions for your phone including voicemail setup.

(return to top)

How do I check my voicemail if I am not on campus?

If you're off-campus:

  1. Dial (781)736-2222

  2. Press *

  3. Enter your 5-digit extension number when prompted for "your ID"

  4. Press #

  5. Enter your password, followed by #, when prompted for "password"

(return to top)

My phone voicemail has someone else's name on it. What do I do?

New faculty should fill out this form set up their office telephone and voicemail.

(return to top)

My phone is dead! Help!

Check all connections. Take them out. Reinsert them. More Troubleshooting hints are here.  If that doesn't work, e-mail VOICE (

(return to top)

How do I reset my voicemail password?

You can reset your voicemail password here.

(return to top)


How do I connect to the network printers?

 Read this. Or, read more generalized instructions on the LTS site here.

(return to top)

The printer isn't working. Now what?

Make sure the printer is on and has paper. If the printer is displaying an error message, follow the prompts on the screen. Or, try this. First, clear the print queue.

On Windows:

  • On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo key + R key.

  • In the Run prompt, type the name of the server the printer is on (//print-hp-1 for HP printers, //konica-ps1 for Konica printers, \\waltz for all other models), and hit Enter.

  • Find the printer you are looking for, right-click on it, and select "Open." Click on the "Printer" menu at the top left hand corner and hit "Cancel all documents."

On Mac:

  • Open System Preferences and click on the Print and Fax icon.

  • In the list of printers on the left, select the printer you want to clear.

  • Click on "Open Print Queue..."

  • Select individual print jobs and click "Delete" in the top left hand corner.

Then, Restart the printer and the computer.

(return to top)


How do I get my class tapes onto Latte?

E-mail Dave Wedaman every semester.

(return to top)

If my students have problems with Latte, what do I do?

The technical support team will help them—it is not your responsibility to be the technician! Direct them to this link, or have them call the Help Desk at x64357.

(return to top)


I need to put a film on reserve. Can I do that online?


Can someone print/copy/scan articles for my courses?

Yes, but large copy jobs should go through the copy center.

For individual articles, syllabi and other small jobs, during the academic year, we have student workers who can help.

Complete a ROMS Student Job Request Form found online or in the 2nd row of the ROMS mailboxes and put the completed form and the materials to be copied or scanned in the box above or bring both to Shiffman 108.  Please give us as much notice as possible.

If you have an unexpected, last-minute job, please feel free to ask if we might be able to finish your job. If there are no other high priority jobs waiting for us, we'll do our best to help you out. We will complete most projects within 3 to 4 business days.

(return to top)

May I ask student workers to help me out with other course-related tasks?

Yes, however please do not ask them directly. First, ask Katie or Ellen. They will tell you whether or not your request is appropriate for student workers and whether or not they have other higher priority work to complete. Thank you.

(return to top)