More about 'DEIS Impact!
Click here for a larger version of the video, and the accompanying feature story in BrandeisNOW
Feb. 5, 2014
Kweku Mandela-Amuah and Ndaba Mandela
Honoring their grandfather Nelson Mandela’s legacy, Kweku Mandela-Amuah and Ndaba Mandela will speak about creating the Africa Rising Foundation, to publicize the positive image of Africa and instill a sense of pride and purpose in young Africans across the globe. The keynote talk is in collaboration with the Ruth First Lecture Series sponsored by the African and Afro-American Studies Department. View their bios here.
'DEIS Impact! 2014: Exploring social justice on campus, in Waltham & around the world
The Weeklong "Festival of Social Justice" at Brandeis University
February 1–10, 2014
'DEIS \dis, diz\ Brandeis: a university uniquely committed to social justice since its founding
im*pact \impakt\ the force of impression of one thing on another: a significant or major effect
The International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life and the Student Union present Brandeis University’s third annual weeklong "festival of social justice." Students, professors, clubs, and academic departments are planning dozens of events throughout the week, featuring talks, artmaking workshops, performances, exhibits, and discussions.
- Download or view the 2014 'DEIS Impact! flyer.
- Launch Party: At the launch party students learned more about how they can shape 'DEIS Impact. More details on Facebook.
- 'DEIS Impacter applications: Create 'DEIS Impact as a 'DEIS Impacter! The application deadline has passed. – Meet the 2014 'DEIS Impacters!
- 'DEIS Impact event proposals and funding requests: The application deadline has passed. Details of the 'DEIS Impact 2014 schedule will be posted soon.
Some of the questions to be explored during the week:
- What does social justice really mean? Does trying to define the term help us think more clearly and work together more productively? Or is trying to define it a useless rhetorical exercise?
- How can I get involved more effectively in social justice work?
- How can I turn my passion into a career?
- What will be different because of this ‘DEIS Impact week? How will I be different?
'DEIS Impact is a collaboration between the Brandeis Undergraduate Student Union and the International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life, with support from the Louis D. Brandeis Legacy Fund for Social Justice.
For more information:
Marci McPhee (Ethics Center): 781-736-7744 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ricky Rosen (Student Union): email@example.com