Main Content

BA/MA Tuition & Financial Aid

Expenses for tuition and other charges during your first year of the MA program are the same as they would be for your final year of undergraduate study. At the time of admission in the MA program, you will receive a scholarship agreement, which will indicate your award for the fifth and final year.

Please be aware that financial aid for the fifth year of study is traditionally less generous than undergraduate financial aid. Each student will be responsible for a significant portion of tuition in addition to all living expenses. If you are concerned about funding, you should speak with the Admissions Office before submitting your application.

U.S. students should expect to apply for federal loans through the Stafford program and through private loan agencies. International students may be eligible for a Brandeis loan. The three main sources of financial assistance available at the graduate level are: government loans and grants (federal and state), institutional grants, and private foundations/corporations. You should explore all these sources of funding. Graduate support is based on merit, need and the availability of funds.

U.S. students wishing to apply for federal financial assistance must complete a FAFSA form. The Office of Financial Aid also requires that you submit a signed copy of your parents' income tax return for the prior year. Parental information is required even if you meet the federal definition of independence.

Financial Aid Questions

All financial aid questions, particularly those about how to finance the fifth year, should be directed to the Office of Admission & Financial Aid.