In order to open an account, each student must go to unet.brandeis.edu and Click "Open a UNet Account." This creates your personal UNET space.
Your UNet Home Space has three default folders: public, private, and WWW.
- The private folder is accessible only to you.
- The public folder is accessible to any Brandeis user via methods such as SFTP and SSH
- The WWW space is available to anyone, Brandeis users or not, at http://people.brandeis.edu/~[yourusername] (without brackets).
- Files put in the root of your home folder (not in private, public or WWW) are only accessible to you.
Brandeis IBS SAN Space
Each Brandeis IBS/Econ faculty and staff member is given IBS SAN space. IBS SAN is a file server managed by the IBS Technology Department and is not associated with the main campus.
- Staff: 20GB (for business purposes)
- Faculty: 90GB (for research purposes)
- Each Brandeis IBS & IBS-Econ faculty & staff member is automatically connected to their personal (Z: Drive) folder when logging into any computer on campus.
- A number of other important folders are also automatically mapped based on staff or faculty status.
Backup Procedures: UNET & SAN Space
Both “UNET” and “IBS SAN” Space are “volume shares” on a system called the “SAN” The SAN is a redundant system located in the Feldberg Building which is protected by multiple levels of RAID (a large number of separate hard drives holding copies of the same information). The SAN is also replicated over to a backup SAN located in the Goldfarb Building. For more information on how UNET space is backed up, please contact the Brandeis Help Desk at ext. 67777. The following levels of backup & redundancy are in place for the IBS SAN in order to ensure full data safety on campus:
- SAN Snapshot (Level 1)
- Snapshots are full copies of every file located within SAN folders
- Snapshot Schedule
- Daily @ 5pm (each snapshot kept for 1 week)
- Weekly @ 6pm Sunday (each snapshot kept for 30 days)
- Monthly @ 5pm 1st Sunday (each snapshot kept for 3 months)
- SAN Shadow Copy (Level 2)
- Shadow Copy Schedule
- Twice Daily (7am & 7pm)
- Each version saved for 3 months
- Shadow Copy Schedule
Students requiring access to faculty “WWW” folders may do so by one of the following methods:
- faculty logs into system
- student follows connection directions to access WWW folder
- update files
- copy files to “WWW” folder
- Faculty makes a copy of “WWW” folder and places it under “public” folder
- Student uses sftp or ssh to access //unethome/faculty/public folder
- Work is done on the files located in the //faculty/public/www folder
- Faculty copies files from //faculty/public/www to //faculty/www