Abram L. and Thelma Sachar Professor of International Economics
Chaos Theory, Equity Markets, Finance / Technical Analysis Of Price Movements, International Finance / Exchange Rates
- University of Chicago, Ph.D.
- University of Chicago, M.A.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, B.S.
ECON 301aAdvanced Microeconomics I
ECON 304aAdvanced Macroeconomics II
ECON 399aDissertation Workshop
ECON/FIN 250aForecasting in Finance and Economics
FIN 250fFinancial Forecasting
FIN 254fFinancial Manias and Crises
FIN 285aComputer Simulations and Risk Assessment
A specialist in high-technology finance, Blake LeBaron's research deals with domestic and international financial markets. He is involved in empirical and theoretical studies of asset market behavior. The latter area involves building "artificial stock markets" with simulated computer traders. He teaches courses in macroeconomics and econometrics. A former faculty member at the University of Wisconsin, he holds a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago.
- LeBaron, Blake. "Heterogeneous gain learning and long swings in asset prices." Rethinking Expectations: The Way Forward for Macroeconomics. Ed. Roman Frydman and Edmund S. Phelps. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2013
- LeBaron, Blake. "Heterogeneous gain learning and the dynamics of asset prices." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 83. (2012): 424-445.
- LeBaron, Blake. "Wealth dynamics and a Bias Toward Momentum Trading." Finance Research Letters 9. (2012): 21-28.
- LeBaron, Blake. "Active and passive learning in agent-based financial markets." Eastern Economic Journal 37. (2011): 35-43.
- LeBaron, Blake/Ryuichi Yamamoto. "Order-splitting and Long-Memory in an Order-Driven Market." European Physical Journal B 73. 1 (2010): 51-57.
- LeBaron, Blake /Leigh Tesfatsion. "Modeling macroeconomies as open-ended systems of interacting agents." American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings 98. 2 (2008): 246-50.
- LeBaron, Blake/Peter Winker, ed. Agent-based Models for Economic Policy Advice. 228 2008.
- LeBaron, Blake/Ryuichi Yamamoto. "The impact of imitation on long-memory in an order driven market." Eastern Economic Journal 34. (2008): 504-517.
- LeBaron, Blake/Ryuichi Yamamoto. "Long-memory in an order-driven market." Physica A 383. (2007): 85-89.
- LeBaron, Blake. "Agent-based Computational Finance." Handbook of Computational Economics. vol. 2 Ed. Tesfatsion and Judd. North-Holland, 2006. 1187-1232.
- LeBaron, Blake. "Agent-based financial markets: Matching stylized facts with style." Post Walrasian Macroeconomics. Ed. Colander. Cambridge University Press, 2006. 221-238.
- LeBaron, Blake. "Time scales, Agents, and Empirical Finance." Medium Econometrishce 14. 3 (2006): 20-25.
- LeBaron,Blake. Short-memory traders and their impact on group learning in financial markets. Proc. of Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. 2002.
- LeBaron,Blake with A. Chaboud. "Foreign exchange market trading volume and federal reserve intervention." Journal of Futures Markets 21. (2001): 851-860.
- LeBaron,Blake. "A builder's guide to agent-based financial markets." Quantitative Finance 1. (2001): 254-261.
- LeBaron,Blake. "Empirical regularities from interacting long and short memory investors in an agent-based financial market." IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 5. (2001): 442-455.
- LeBaron,Blake. "Evolution and time horizons in an agent based stock market." Macroeconomic Dynamics 5. (2001): 225-254.
- LeBaron,Blake. "Stochastic volatility as a simple generator of apparent financial power laws and long memory." Quantitative Finance 1. (2001): 621-631.
- LeBaron,Blake with R. McCulloch. "Floating, Fixed, or Super-Fixed? Dollarization Joins the Menu of Exchange-Rate Options." American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 90. 2 (2000): 32-37.
- LeBaron,Blake, co-ed. Yaser S. Abu-Mostafa, Andrew W. Lo & Andre. Computational Finance 1999. MIT Press, 2000.
- LeBaron,Blake. "Agent Based Computational Finance: Suggested Readings and Early Research." Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 24. (2000): 679-702.
- LeBaron,Blake with W. B. Arthur and R. Palmer. "The Time Series Properties of an Artificial Stock Market." Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 23. (1999): 1487-1516.
- LeBaron,Blake. "Technical Trading Rule Profitability and Foreign Exchange Intervention." Journal of International Economics 49. (1999): 125-143.
- LeBaron,Blake with W. A. Brock. "A Dynamic Structural Model for Stock Return Volatility and Trading Volume." Review of Economics and Statistics 78. (1996): 94-110.
- LeBaron,Blake. "Chaos and Nonlinear Forecastability in Economics and Finance." Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London (A) 348. (1994): 397-404..
- LeBaron,Blake with W. A. Brock, and J. Lakonishok. "Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns." Journal of Finance 47. (1992): 1731-1764.
- LeBaron,Blake, with William A. Brock and David Hsieh. Nonlinear Dynamics, Chaos and Instability. MIT Press, 1991.
Awards & Honors:
- (1994 - 1996) Sloan Fellowship
- (1994 - 1996) Villas Associate
- (1991 - 1992) National Science Foundation
- (1990) Wisconsin Alumni Reseach Foundation