Ricardo A. Lopez
Assistant Professor of Economics in the International Business School
International Trade, Economic Development, Productivity Analysis, Latin America
- University of California, Los Angeles, Ph.D.
BUS 70aBusiness in the Global Economy
ECON 160aInternational Trade Theory
ECON 260aInternational Trade Policy and Institutions
ECON 270aEconomic Development Strategies
Ricardo A. López specializes in international trade, economic development, productivity analysis and Latin America. His research focuses on firms’ behavior in international markets and the role of international trade as a source of economic growth. His research has been published in leading economics journals and presented in numerous conferences and seminars. Before joining IBS, he was a faculty member at the economics department of Indiana University, Bloomington for seven years. Previously, he had served as an economic adviser to the Ministry of Economy of Chile for four years. He holds a BA in economics from the University of Chile and a PhD in economics from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Julian Emami Namini. "Factor Price Overshooting with Trade Liberalization: Theory and Evidence." Scottish Journal of Political Economy 60. 2 (2013): 139–181.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Financial Development and Exporting in Chilean Plants." Review of World Economics 149. 1 (2013): 183-207.
- Lopez, Ricardo A., Roberto Alvarez and Hasan Faruq. "Is Previous Export Experience Important for New Exports?." Journal of Development Studies 49. 3 (2013): 426–441.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Trade Liberalization and Industry Dynamics." Open Economies Review 23. 4 (2012): 579-595.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Niru Yadav. "Imports of Intermediate Inputs and Spillover Effects: Evidence from Chilean Plants." Journal of Development Studies 46. 8 (2010): 1385-1403.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. "Do Firms Increase Productivity in Order to Become Exporters?." Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 71. 5 (2009): 621-642.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Jens Suedekum. "Vertical Industry Relations, Spillovers and Productivity: Evidence from Chilean Plants." Journal of Regional Science 49. 4 (2009): 721-747.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Is Exporting a Source of Productivity Spillovers?." Review of World Economics/Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv 144. 4 (2009): 723-749.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Skill Upgrading and the Real Exchange Rate." The World Economy 32. 8 (2009): 1165-1179.
- The International Study Group on Exports and Productivity. "Understanding Cross-Country Differences in Exporter Premia – Comparable Evidence for 14 Countries." Review of World Economics / Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv 144. 4 (2009): 596-635.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. "Foreign Technology Licensing, Productivity, and Spillovers." World Development 36. 4 (2008): 560-574.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Entry and Exit in International Markets: Evidence from Chilean Data." Review of International Economics 16. 4 (2008): 692-708.
- Lopez, Ricardo A.. "Foreign Technology Acquisition, Spillovers, and Sunk Costs: Evidence from Plant-Level Data." Economics Bulletin 15. 11 (2008): 1-7
- Lopez, Ricardo A. "Imports of Intermediate Inputs and Plant Survival." Economics Letters 92. 1 (2006): 58-62.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. "Trade and Growth: Reconciling the Macroeconomic and Microeconomic Evidence." Journal of Economic Surveys 19. 4 (2005): 623-648.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Exporting and Performance: Evidence from Chilean Plants." Canadian Journal of Economics 38. 4 (2005): 1384-1400.
- Lopez, Ricardo A. and Roberto Alvarez. "Export Orientation and Productivity in the Chilean Manufacturing Industry." Latin American Journal of Economics 41. 124 (2004): 315-343.