Judy’s research focuses on international trade and economic development. Much of her work examines the relationship between trade and the environment. In a series of empirical studies using Chinese data, she has been exploring the possibility that trade growth, foreign investment and production fragmentation may have beneficial effects on the environment. In other work, she studies trade and fragmentation, the effects of non-tariff barriers and the implications of trade preferences for developing countries. Her new work on India explores the impact of trade liberalization in services on Indian poverty. Judy came to Brandeis from the US International Trade Commission where she was a Senior International Economist in the Research Division, overseeing research on trade with China and India. Prior to joining the USITC, Judy was Associate Professor of Economics at SAIS, Johns Hopkins University (1990-2000) and Assistant Professor at Bowdoin College (1983-1990). She has been a consultant to the World Bank and the OECD, and a Visiting Scholar at the Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India. She has also helped to establish research collaboration for the USITC with Tsinghua University and with the India Development Foundation. In 2012-13 Judy was named one of six Visiting Scholars in the Clayton Yeutter International Trade Program, University of Nebraska. At IBS Judy is also the Area Head for Economics, and oversees the International Economic Policy specialization.
Cornell University, Ph.D.
- Dean, Judith M.. "Testing the Impact of India's Services Trade Liberalization on Poverty.
- Dean, Judith M./Lovely, Mary E.. "Do Offshoring and Foreign Investment Influence Industrial Pollution Intensities in China?.
- Dean, Judith M.. "A Review of Why Nations Fail, by D. Acemoglu and J. Robinson." Global Journal of Economics vol. 2 2013
- Dean, Judith M.. "Trade, Environment and Poverty: must there be a tradeoff?." Clayton Yeutter International Trade Program. University of Nebraska
- Dean, Judith M.. "Why measuring value-added trade matters for developing countries." Trade in Value-Added: Developing New Measures of Cross-Border Trade. Ed. A. Mattoo, Z. Wang, and S. Wei. Washington, DC: World Bank and CEPR, 2013
- Dean, Judith M.. "Measuring Value-Added Trade." Expert Testimony, US-China Economic and Security Review Commission. Washington, DC
- Dean, Judith M.. "Measuring Value-Added Trade: what’s in it for developing countries?." World Trade Organization, Made in the World Initiative March 22. (2012)
- Dean, Judith M.. "Testimony on The Evolving U.S.-China Trade and Investment Relationship." The U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission Hearing (2012): <http://www.uscc.gov/sites/default/files/6.14.12Dean.pdf>.
- Dean, Judith M.. "The Impact of Services Trade Liberalization on Indian Poverty." Workshop on International Trade and Development. India Development Foundation, Gurgaon, India
- Dean, Judith M.. "Development of Global Supply Chains." The Economic Effects of Significant U.S.Import Restraints. Ed. USITC. Washington, DC: USITC, 2011
- Judith M. Dean, K. C. Fung and Zhi Wang. "Measuring Vertical Specialization: The Case of China." Review of International Economics 19. 4 (2011): 609-625.
- Judith M. Dean and Mary E. Lovely. "Trade Growth, Production Fragmentation, and China’s Environment." China's Growing Role in World Trade. Ed. R. Feenstra and S. Wei. Chicago: NBER and University of Chicago Press, 2010
- Judith M. Dean and John Wainio. "Quantifying the Value of US Tariff Preferences." Trade Preference Erosion: Measurement and Response. Ed. B. Hoekman, W. Martin and C. Braga. New York: World Bank and Palgrave-MacMillan, 2009
- Judith M. Dean, Mary E. Lovely, and Hua Wang. "Are Foreign Investors Attracted to Weak Environmental Regulations?: Evaluating the Evidence from China." Journal of Development Economics 90. (2009): 1-13.
- Judith M. Dean, Mary E. Lovely, and Jesse Mora. "Decomposing China–Japan–U.S. Trade: Vertical Specialization, Ownership, and Organizational Form." Journal of Asian Economics 20. (2009): 596-610.
- Judith M. Dean, Robert Feinberg, Jose Signoret, Rodney Ludema and Michael Ferrantino. "Estimating the Price Effects of Non-Tariff Barriers." The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, Contributions 9. 1 (2009).
- Judith M. Dean. "Trade, Poverty and the Environment: Must There Be a Tradeoff?." Economic Justice. Ed. S. Rundle. Atlanta: Authentic Media, 2009
- Dean, Judith M.. "Trade Growth, Global Production, and Environmental Degradation." VOX May 14. (2008)
- Judith M. Dean. "Is Trade Preference Erosion Bad for Development?." USITC Working Papers 2006-11-A.