Nidhiya Menon has experience in applying the tools of empirical microeconomics and econometrics to the areas of development economics, labor, and applied microeconomics. She has been a consultant at the World Bank and United Nations Foundation, and a researcher at the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh. At Brandeis, she teaches courses in development economics and statistics.
Brown University, Ph.D.
Brown University, M.A.
Mt. Holyoke College, B.A.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Technology Use and Firms with Female Principal Owners in Kenya." Journal of African Development (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Impact of the Twin Economic Crises on the Philippine Labor Market." World Development (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Labor Regulations and Job Quality: Evidence from India." Industrial and Labor Relations Review (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "War and Women's Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal." Journal of Conflict Resolution (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. "Credit and Self-Employment." Handbook of Research on Gender and Economic Life. vol. 1 Ed. Deborah M. Figart and Tonia Warnecke. Northamption, MA, and London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2012 (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Yana Rodgers. "How Access to Credit Affects Self-Employment: Differences by Gender during India's Rural Banking Reform." Journal of Development Studies (2010). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Investment Credit and Child Labor." Applied Economics (2009). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Religion and Health in Early Childhood: Evidence from the Indian Subcontinent." March 2013.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Seasonal Effects of Water Quality on Infant and Child Health in India." October 2012.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "A Meta-Analysis of Land Rights and Women's Economic Well-Being." November 2012.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Land Rights and Economic Security for Women in Vietnam." November 2012.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Women's Land Rights and Children's Human Capital in Vietnam." January 2013.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Rainfall Uncertainty and Occupational Choice in Agricultural Households of Rural Nepal." Journal of Development Studies 45. 6 (2009): 864-888.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Yana Rodgers. "Gender Inequality in the Labor Market During Economic Transition: Changes in India's Manufacturing Sector." Labor Markets in Transition and Developing Economies: Emerging Policy and Analytical Issues. Ed. Ravi Kanbur and Jan Svejnar. London and New York: Routledge Press, 2009. 341-363.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Glick, David. "Public Programs Pare Poverty: Evidence from Chile." Bulletin of Economic Research 61. 3 (2009): 249-282.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. "International Trade and the Gender Wage Gap: New Evidence from India's Manufacturing Sector." World Development 37. 5 (2009): 965-981.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "The Relationship between Labor Unionization and the Number of Working Children in India." Indian Economic Journal 54. 3 (2008): 133-151.
- Menon, Nidhiya/rodgers, Yana. "Trade Policy Liberalization and Gender Equality in the Labor Market: New Evidence for India." Rutgers University World Affairs Review. vol. Issue 3, 2008. 1-25.
- Menon, Nidhiya / Sanyal, Paroma. "Labor Conflicts and Foreign Investments: An Analysis of FDI in India." Review of Development Economics 11. 4 (2007): 629-644.
- Menon, Nidhiya / Subramanian, Narayanan. "Learning, Diversification, and the Nature of Risk." Economic Theory 35. 1 (2007): 117-145.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Inter-dependencies in Micro-Credit Groups: Evidence from Repayment Data." Journal of Developing Areas 40. 2 (2007): 111-132.
- Pitt, Mark/Menon, Nidhiya. "Program Evaluation Using Spatial Instruments: Evidence from Indonesia." 2007.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Long Term Benefits of Membership in Microfinance Programs." Journal of International Development 18. (2006): 571-594.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Non-Linearities in Returns to Participation in Grameen Bank Programs." Journal of Development Studies 42. 8 (2006): 1379-1400.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Sanyal, Paroma. "Labor Disputes and the Economics of Firm Geography: A Study of Domestic Investment in India." Economic Development and Cultural Change 53. 4 (2005): 825-854.
- (2012) United Nations Foundation
- (2011) International Growth Center Research Grant
- (2010) World Bank Research Grant
- (2010) World Bank Research Grant
- (2009) Who's Who in America
- (2009) World Bank Research Grant
- (2008) Norman Research Grant