Nidhiya Menon's primary research interest is the behavior of individuals, households and firms in developing countries. Within this area, she has contributed to topics that include microfinance and credit, labor and occupational choice, gender-differentiated impacts of labor market policies, child health consequences of environmental (water) pollution, and program evaluation. Her research program in these areas includes both theoretical and empirical work. She has been a consultant at the World Bank and United Nations Foundation, and a researcher at the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh. Menon received her B.A. in economics from Mount Holyoke College and her Ph.D. in economics from Brown University. At Brandeis, she teaches courses in development economics and statistics.
Brown University, Ph.D.
Brown University, M.A.
Mt. Holyoke College, B.A.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Technology Use and Firms with Female Principal Owners in Kenya." Journal of African Development (2014). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya. "The "State" of Persons with Disabilities in India." Journal of Human Development and Capabilities (2014). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Impact of the Twin Economic Crises on the Philippine Labor Market." World Development (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Labor Regulations and Job Quality: Evidence from India." Industrial and Labor Relations Review (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "War and Women's Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal." Journal of Conflict Resolution (2013). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. "Credit and Self-Employment." Handbook of Research on Gender and Economic Life. vol. 1 Ed. Deborah M. Figart and Tonia Warnecke. Northamption, MA, and London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2012 (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Yana Rodgers. "How Access to Credit Affects Self-Employment: Differences by Gender during India's Rural Banking Reform." Journal of Development Studies (2010). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Investment Credit and Child Labor." Applied Economics (2009). (forthcoming)
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Gender and Technology Use in Developing Countries: Evidence from Firms in Kenya." February 2014.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Seasonal Effects of Water Quality: The Hidden Costs of the Green Revoluation to Infant and Child Health in India." Journal of Development Economics 107. (2014): 49-64.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Women's Land Rights and Children's Human Capital in Vietnam." World Development 54. (2014): 18-31.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Elizabeth Brainerd. "Religion and Health in Early Childhood: Evidence from the Indian Subcontinent." October 2013.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "A Meta-Analysis of Land Rights and Women's Economic Well-Being." November 2012.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Yana Rodgers. "Land Rights and Economic Security for Women in Vietnam." December 2013.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Rainfall Uncertainty and Occupational Choice in Agricultural Households of Rural Nepal." Journal of Development Studies 45. 6 (2009): 864-888.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Yana Rodgers. "Gender Inequality in the Labor Market During Economic Transition: Changes in India's Manufacturing Sector." Labor Markets in Transition and Developing Economies: Emerging Policy and Analytical Issues. Ed. Ravi Kanbur and Jan Svejnar. London and New York: Routledge Press, 2009. 341-363.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Glick, David. "Public Programs Pare Poverty: Evidence from Chile." Bulletin of Economic Research 61. 3 (2009): 249-282.
- Menon, Nidhiya/Rodgers, Yana. "International Trade and the Gender Wage Gap: New Evidence from India's Manufacturing Sector." World Development 37. 5 (2009): 965-981.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "The Relationship between Labor Unionization and the Number of Working Children in India." Indian Economic Journal 54. 3 (2008): 133-151.
- Menon, Nidhiya/rodgers, Yana. "Trade Policy Liberalization and Gender Equality in the Labor Market: New Evidence for India." Rutgers University World Affairs Review. vol. Issue 3, 2008. 1-25.
- Menon, Nidhiya / Sanyal, Paroma. "Labor Conflicts and Foreign Investments: An Analysis of FDI in India." Review of Development Economics 11. 4 (2007): 629-644.
- Menon, Nidhiya / Subramanian, Narayanan. "Learning, Diversification, and the Nature of Risk." Economic Theory 35. 1 (2007): 117-145.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Inter-dependencies in Micro-Credit Groups: Evidence from Repayment Data." Journal of Developing Areas 40. 2 (2007): 111-132.
- Pitt, Mark/Menon, Nidhiya. "Program Evaluation Using Spatial Instruments: Evidence from Indonesia." 2007.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Long Term Benefits of Membership in Microfinance Programs." Journal of International Development 18. (2006): 571-594.
- Menon, Nidhiya. "Non-Linearities in Returns to Participation in Grameen Bank Programs." Journal of Development Studies 42. 8 (2006): 1379-1400.
- Menon, Nidhiya/ Sanyal, Paroma. "Labor Disputes and the Economics of Firm Geography: A Study of Domestic Investment in India." Economic Development and Cultural Change 53. 4 (2005): 825-854.
- (2014) International Growth Center Research Grant
- (2012) United Nations Foundation
- (2011) International Growth Center Research Grant
- (2010) World Bank Research Grant
- (2010) World Bank Research Grant
- (2009) Who's Who in America
- (2009) World Bank Research Grant
- (2008) Norman Research Grant