A specialist in the Chinese economy, Gary Jefferson's research interests include economic development and the economics of innovation with special focus on the economy of China. Jefferson has published extensively, often with research colleagues in China, on topics including industrial productivity growth, enterprise restructuring, R&D and patenting, FDI spillovers, and China's research institute sector. He is a current or recent editor and advisor to several journals, including Chinese Economic Review, Journal of Asian Studies, Journal of Contemporary China, Journal of Chinese Entrepreneurship, Comparative Economic Studies, Fudan University Journal of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Yale University, Ph.D.
The London School of Economics, M.S.
Tufts University, M.A.
Dartmouth College, B.A.
- Gary H. Jeffeson (with Jun Zhang). "The Future Trajectory of China’s Political Reform: A Property Rights Interpretation." Unfinished Reforms in the Chinese Economy. first ed. vol. 1 Ed. Jun Zhang. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 2014 (forthcoming)
- Jefferson, Gary H (Ouyang Miao). ""FDI Spillovers in China: Why Do the Research Findings Differ So Much,"." Journal of Chinese Economics and Business 12. 1 (2015): 28.
- Jefferson, Gary H. ""How Has China's Economic Emergence Contributed to the Field of Economics?"." Comparative Economic Studies. Ed. Josef Brada. 2015.
- Belton Fleisher (summarizes and review the conference presentation of G. Jefferson). ""Symposium on China's Economy and Governance"." China Economic Review 31. (2014): 361-364.
- Gary H. Jefferson (Luosha Du and Ann Harrison). ""FDI Spillovers and Industrial Policy: The Role of Tariffs and Tax Holidays"." World Development 64. (2014): 18.
- Jefferson, Gary H (with Ouyang Miao, current PhD student). "“FDI Spillovers in China: Why Do the Research Findings Differ So Much?,” 2014. (with Ouyang Miao, current PhD student), Journal of Chinese Economics and Business, 12 (1), 1-27.." Journal of Chinese Economics and Business 12. 1 (2014): 1027.
- Jefferson, Gary H (with Paul Deng). ""Explaining Spatial Convergence of China's Industrial Productivity"." Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 73. 6 (2012): 818-832.
- Jefferson, Gary H (with Albert Hu). "A Great Wall of Patents: What is Behind China's Recent Patent Explosion?." Journal of Development Economics forthcoming. (2008).
- Jefferson, Gary H (with Albert Hu). "Patenting in China." China and the World Economy: Consequences and Challenges. Ed. David Greenaway, Chris Milner and Shujie Yao. Palgrave MacMillan, 2008
- Jefferson, Gary H (with B.W. Cheng, Jian Su, Paul Deng, H.Y. Qin, and Z.H. Xuan). "Restructuring China's Research Institutes." Greater China's Quest for Innovation. Ed. Henry Rowan, Marguerite Hancock, and William Miller. Shorenstein APARC and Brookings Institution Press, 2008
- Jefferson, Gary H (with Karen Fisher-Vanden). "Technology Diversity and Development"Evidence from China's Industrial Enterprises." Journal of Comparative Economics 36. 4 (2008): 658-672.
- Jefferson, Gary H and Albert Hu. "Science and Technology in China." China' Great Economic Transformation. Ed. L. Brandt and T. Rawski. New York City: Cambridge University Press, 2008
- Jefferson, Gary H, Thomas Rawski, Yifan Zhang. "Productivity Growth and Convergence Across China's Industrial Economy." Journal of Chinese Economics and Business Studies 6. 2 (2008): 121-140.
- Jefferson, Gary H. "China's convergence imperative: growing income equality as a precondition for sustained economic growth." Crossing the River by Grasping the Stones: Thirty Years of Economic Reforms. Ed. A. Sweetman and J. Zhang. McGill-Queens University Press, 2008
- Jefferson, Gary H. "How has China's economic emergence contributed to the field of economics? (50th Anniversary Essay)." Comparative Economic Studies (Celebrating 50 Years) 50. 2 (2008): 167-209.
- Jefferson, Gary H, Jian Gao. "Science and Technology Takeoff in China? Sources of Rising R&D Intensity." Asia Pacific Business Review 13. 3, Special Issue: Global R&D in China (2007): 357-372..
- Jefferson, Gary H, Jian Su. "Privatization and Restructuring in China: Evidence from Shareholding Ownership, 1995-2001." Journal of Comparative Economics 34. (2007): 146-166.
- Jefferson, Gary H. "The Impact of Foreign Investment on China¿s Industrial Innovation,." Global Capitalism Unbound: Winners and Losers from Offshore Outsourcing. Ed. Eva Paus. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007
- Jefferson, Gary H, Albert Hu, Jian Su. "The sources and sustainability of China's economic growth." Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 2. (2006): 1-60.
- Jefferson, Gary H, co-ed. I Singh. Entrerprise Reform in China: Ownership, Transition, and Performance. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- (2015) Jiang Xuemo Visiting Lecturer, Fudan University, June 2014
- (2014) Best Paper Award, U.K. Chinese Economic Association, Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies
- (2007) Honorary Professor, Center for Economic Development Research, School of Economics and Management, Wuhan University
- (2007) Honory Professor, Institute for Economic Development, School of Economics and Management, Wuhan University
- (1994 - 1995) American Council of Learned Societies Fellowship
- (1994 - 1995) Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation Fellowship
- (1994 - 1995) Henry Luce Foundation United States-China Cooperative Research Program Award
- (1992) Associate Editor, Journal of Asian Economics
- (1988 - 1989) American Council of Learned Societies research grant award
- (1988) Ford Foundation Award for Collaborative Research with Chinese Academy of Social Science
- (1988) National Academy of Sciences Committee on Scholarly Communication with People's Republic of China
- (1988) National Science Foundation US-China Cooperative Science Program Award
- (1986 - 1987) Fulbright Scholarship to China
- (1966 - 1968) Dartmouth Teaching Fellowship, Chinese University of Hong Kong