Robert Carver is a Professor of Business Administration at Stonehill College, where he has been since 1982. Both Brandeis and Stonehill have honored him with excellence in teaching awards. He is author and co-author of three statistics texts (SAS Press & Cengage Learning) and has published articles in Technology Innovations in Statistics Education, Case Studies in Business, Government, & Industry Statistics, The Journal of Business Ethics. The Journal of Statistics Education, PS: Political Science & Politics, Publius, Public Administration Review, Public Productivity Review, and the Journal of Consumer Marketing.
He has also taught at Babson College and Boston College.
University of Michigan, Ph.D.
University of Michigan, M.P.P.
Amherst College, B.A.
- Carver, Robert. "“A Statistician Asks Ethical Questions about Big Data Analytics” (Keynote Address)." Analytics 360: Multi-Industry Insights in Data and Intelligence, Rabb School Symposium. Brandeis University. 04/08/2016.
- Carver, R., Everson, M,, Gabrosek, J., Mocko, M., Velleman, P., Wood, B. "GAISE into the Future: Updating a Landmark Report for an Increasingly Data-centric World." Joint Statistical Meetings, Seattle, WA. August, 2015.
- Carver, Robert. "Data Analytics in Business and Education: A Panel of Practitioners." Joint Statistical Meetings. Boston MA. August, 2014.
- Carver, Robert. "How JMP is Moving the Fences in Undergraduate Statistics Education." JMP Discovery Summit. Cary NC. Sept 18, 2014.
- Carver, Robert. "Industry Perspectives on Business Analytics in Business Schools (organized and chaired panel)." Northeast Deicision Sciences Institute. Cambridge, MA. March 20, 2015.
- Carver, Robert. "Teaching Analytics in a Business School (panelist)." Northeast Deicision Sciences Institute. Cambridge, MA. March 21, 2015.
- Kuiper, S., Carver, R., Posner, M., Everson, M.. "Four Perspectives on Flipping the Statistics Classroom: Changing Pedagogy to Enhance Student-Centered Learning." PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies 25. 8 (2015): 655-682.
- Stephens, Mia; McCormack, Don; & Carver, Robert. "From Data to Decision-Making: Using Simulation and Resampling Methods to Teach Inferential Concepts." 9th International Conference on Teaching Statistics. ISI. Flagstaff AZ. July 2014.
- Carver, Robert and Stephens, Mia. “It is Time to Include Data Management in Introductory Statistics”. Proc. of 9th International Conference on Teaching Statistics. Flagstaff AZ: ISI, 2014.
- Carver, Robert. ""Why Not Flip? A Perspective for Reluctant Flippers." US Conference on Teaching Statistiics. Cary , NC. May 17, 2013.
- Carver, Robert. "Knuckleball vs. Knucklehead: True Confessions of an Analyst." New England JMP Users Group. Southboro, MA. Oct. 4, 2013.
- Carver, Robert. "Wherever Dickey Winds Up, or Is the Wind Up?." New England Statistics in Sports Symposium. Harvard University, Campbridge MA. Sept 21, 2013.
- Carver, Robert. Practical Data Analysis with JMP. 2nd ed. Cary NC: SASpress, 2014.
- Lesser, L.M, Carver, R., Erickson, P., Michelle Everson, JSE Editor. Webinar: Using Fun in the Statisics Classroom. August 20, 2013. Consortium for the Advancement of Undergraduate Statistics Education (CAUSE)/ Journal of Statistics Education. <https://www.causeweb.org/webinar/jse/2013-08/>.
- Carver, Robert. "Look Who's Talking." Joint Statistical Meetings. San Diego, CA. August 2012.
- Lesser, Lawrence M., Wall, Amitra, Carver, Robert H., Pearl Dennis K., Martin, Nadia, Kuiper, Shonda, Posner, Michael A., Erickson, Patricia, Liao, Shu-Min, Albert, Jim and Weber, John J.. "Using Fun in the Statistics Classroom: An Exploratory Study." Journal of Statistics Education 21. 1 (2013): <http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v21n1/lesser.pdf>.
- Carver, Robert and Nash, Jane G.. Doing Data Analysis with SPSS 18.0,. 5th ed. Belmont CA: Cengage Learning, 2011.
- Carver, Robert. "A Global Dozen." US Conference on Teaching Statistics, Cary, NC. May, 2011.
- Carver, Robert. "How Global are Current Business School Textbooks?." Decision Sciences Institute, Boston. November, 2011.
- Carver, Robert. "Introductory Statistics Unconstrained by Computability: A New Cobb Salad." Technology Innovations in Statistics Education 5. 1 (2011): on-line.
- Carver, Robert. "Visualizing the Fundamental Logic of Statistical Inference." Dean's Forum. Stonehill College, Easton MA. February 25, 2011.
- Carver, Robert. It May be a Great Day for Baseball, but is it a Great Day for a Knuckleball?. Proc. of Joint Statistical Meetings. Miami Beach, FL: American Statistical Association, 2011.
- Carver, Robert. Practical Data Analysis with JMP. 1 ed. Cary NC: SAS Press, 2010.
- Carver, Robert. Practical Data Analysis with JMP. 1st ed. Cary, NC: SAS Press, 2010.
- Carver, Robert. “Recipe for a Cobb Salad in a Time of Easy Computability”. Proc. of 8th International Conference on Teaching Statistics. Ljubljana, Slovenia: International Association for Statistical Education, 2010.
- Carver, Robert; Dobler, Carolyn P.. "Does Learning to Think Statistically = Learning to Confront Ambiguity? Evidence from Two Schools." Joint Statistical Meetings, Washington DC. August 2009.
- Carver, Robert; Dobler, Carolyn P.. "Statistics Means Never Having to Say You’re Certain: Learning to Let Go & Tolerate Ambiguity." US Conference on Teaching Statistics. Columbus OH. June 2009.
- Ord, K., Phelps, A., Carver, R.,. "Program Assessment and Accreditation, with Particular Reference to Business Schools." Joint Statistical Meetings,. Vancouver BC (Canada). August 3, 2010.
- Carver, Robert and Nash, Jane G.. Doing Data Analysis with SPSS 16.0. 4th ed. Belmont CA: Cengage, 2009.
- Carver, Robert. "¿Spanning the Globe: The Intro Stats course as a Gateway to the Rest of the World.¿." Joint Statistical Meetings. Denver CO. August 2008.
- Carver, Robert. Minitab Supplement to Accompany Business Statistics by Sharpe, De Veaux, and Velleman. Boston: Pearson Education, 2009.
- Carver, Robert. "Addressing Ambiguity Intolerance." Decision Science Institute meetings, Phoenix AZ. November 2007.
- Carver, Robert. "Shades of Gray: Ambiguity Tolerance and Statistical Thinking." Joint Statistical Meetings, Salt Lake City UT. August 2007.
- Carver, Robert. "Tales of Huffman: An Exercise in Dealing with Messy Data." CSBIGS: Cases in Business, Industry, Government and Government Statistics 1. 2 (2008): 130-138 <http://www.bentley.edu/csbigs/documents/carver.pdf>.
- Carver, Robert. "Internationalizing the Introductory Statistics Course in Business." Northeast Decision Sciences Institute meetings, San Juan PR. March 2006.
- Carver, Robert. Ambiguity Intolerance: An Impediment to Inferential Thinking?. Proc. of Joint Statistical Meetings. Seattle Washington: American Statistical Association, 2007.
- Carver, Robert H., Nash, Jane Gradwohl. Doing data analysis with SPSS version14. Belmont, CA: Thomson-Brooks/Cole, 2006.
- Carver, Robert & Nash, J.G.. Doing Data Analysis with SPSS 12.0. Belmont, CA: Duxbury Press, 2005.
- Carver, Robert. "If the River Stopped: A Talmudic Perspective on Downsizing." Journal of Business Ethics 50. 2 (2004): 137-147.
- (2006) Brandeis University International Business School, Prize for Excellence in Teaching