Rachel McCulloch's research focuses on international economic policy. Currently a member of the Advisory Committee of the Peterson Institute for International Economics and the Academic Advisory Council of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Dr. McCulloch has served as a consultant to the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank, and to several government agencies and foundations. She was also a member of the Technology Assessment Advisory Council of the U.S. Congressional Office of Technology Assessment (1979-87), the President's Commission on Industrial Competitiveness (1984-85), and the Committee on International Relations Studies with the People's Republic of China (1984-92). Prior to joining the Brandeis faculty in 1987, Dr. McCulloch taught at the University of Chicago, Harvard University, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She has also been a visiting professor at the Bologna Center of the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (2004-2005) and at the Tufts University Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy (2010-2011).
University of Chicago, Ph.D.
University of Chicago, M.A.
University of Chicago, M.A.T.
University of Pennsylvania, B.A.
- McCulloch, Rachel. "The International Trading System and Its Future." Oxford Handbook of International Commercial Policy. Ed. Mordechai E. Kreinin and Michael G. Plummer. New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2012. 32-49.
- McCulloch, Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "Developing countries, dispute settlement, and the Advisory Centre on WTO Law." Journal of International Trade & Economic Development 19. 1 (2010): 33-63.
- McCulloch, Rachel. "Globalization and Inequality." 21st Century Economics: A Reference Handbook. Ed. Rhona C. Free. Sage, 2010
- McCulloch, Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "U.S.-Japan and U.S. China trade conflict: Export growth, reciprocity, and the international trading system." Journal of Asian Economics 20. 6 (2009): 669-687.
- McCulloch, Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "Trade Adjustment in the WTO System: Are More Safeguard the Answer?." Oxford Review of Economic Policy 23. 3 (2007): 415-439.
- McCulloch, Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "U.S. Trade Policy toward China." Challenges to the Global Trading System: Adjustment to Globalization in the Asia-Pacific Region. Ed. Sumner La Croix and Peter A. Petri. Oxford: Routledge, 2007. 58-82.
- McCulloch, Rachel, with Jose Pinera. "Trade as Aid: The Political Economy of Tariff Preferences." Trade Preferences and Differential Treatment of Developing Countries. Ed. Bernard Hoekman and Caglar Ozden. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2007
- McCulloch, Rachel. "Protection and Real Wages: The Stolper-Samuelson Theorem." Samuelsonian Economics and the Twenty-First Century. Ed. Michael Szenberg, Lall Ramrattan, and Aron A. Gottesman. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006. 224-234.
- McCulloch, Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "U.S. Trade Policy and the Adjustment Process." International Monetary Fund Staff Papers 52. special Iissue (2005): 107-128.
- McCulloch,Rachel, with Chad P. Bown, Meredith A. Crowley, and Daisuke J. Nakajima. "The U.S. Trade Deficit: Made in China?." Economic Perspectives XXIX. 4 (2005): 2-18.
- McCulloch,Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "Environmental Issues in the World Trade Organization." The World Trade Organization: Legal, Economic and Political Analysis, Vol. 2. Ed. P.F.J. Macrory, A.A. Appleton, and M.G. Plummer. New York: Springer, 2005. 137-170.
- McCulloch,Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "The WTO Agreement on Safeguards: an empirical analysis of discriminatory impact." Empirical Methods in International Trade. Ed. M.G. Plummer. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 2004. 145-168.
- McCulloch,Rachel, with Chad P. Bown. "Nondiscrimination and the WTO Agreement on Safeguards." World Trade Review 2. 3 (2003): 327-348.
- McCulloch,Rachel, with Peter Petri. "Equity Financing of Asian Development (reprint)." International Capital Movements. vol. 17 Ed. H. Singer, N. Hatti, and R. Tandon. New Delhi: BRPC (India) Ltd., 2003
- McCulloch,Rachel. "Globalization: Historical Perspective and Prospects." Globalization and the Asia Pacific Economy. Ed. Kyung-Tae Lee. London: Routledge, 2002. 6-24.
- McCulloch,Rachel. "Unilateral and Reciprocal Trade Reform in Latin America." On Going Alone: The Case for Relaxed Reciprocity in Freeing Trade. Ed. Jagdish N. Bhagwati. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2002. 395-441.
- McCulloch,Rachel, with Blake LeBaron. "Fixed, Floating, or Super-Fixed? Dollarization Joins the Menu of Exchange-Rate Options." American Economic Review (Papers and Proceedings) 90. 2 (2000): 32-37.
- (2011) Who's Who in America - 2012
- (2008) John R. Commons Award, Omicron Delta Epsilon International Honor Society for Economics
- (2004 - 2005) AGIP Chair in International Economics, Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, Bologna Center, fall 2004.
- (2002) Schulhof Foundation Research Grant
- (1999) Distinguished Service Award, Graduate School of International Economics and Finance
- (1997) Executive Committee, American Economic Association
- (1993) Board of Directors, International Trade and Finance Association
- (1989) Rosen Family Chair in International Finance
- (1985) German Marshall Fund Research Grant
- (1984) Ford Foundation Research Grant
- (1981) Wisconsin Alumni Reseach Foundation Grant
- (1975) National Science Foundation Research Grant