Professor Osler's research currently focuses on the microeconomics of financial markets, with a special focus on the foreign exchange market. In addition to fundamental contributions to "financial market microstructure," the insights gathered from this research help in the design of exchange-rate models with improved empirical support. Professor Osler also researches the nature and influence of imperfect rationality in financial markets. Her past research highlighted the importance of financial deregulation for surging credit and asset prices as well as the consequences of bursting asset-price bubbles for investment and economic growth.
Professor Osler teaches two courses. "Trading and Exchanges" builds on her expertise in financial markets. "Applied International Macroeconomics" builds on her experience as a practicing economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Professor Osler has also taught at Columbia University, the Amos Tuck School at Dartmouth College, the Kellogg School of Management, and the Norwegian School of Business.
Princeton University, Ph.D.
Swarthmore College, B.A.
- Osler, Carol L. "Book Review: The Exchange Rate in a Behavioral Finance Framework." Journal of International Economics (2007). (forthcoming)
- Osler, Carol L. ""The Fix is In: how banks allegedly rigged the US$5.3 trillion foreign exchange market"." The Conversation: Academic rigor, journalistic flair November 13 2014, 5.44am EST: 2.
- Osler, Carol L. "Greece illustrates the importance of staying within economic limits." http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog (2015): <http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/?s=osler>.
- Osler, Carol L. "Reading between the lines of Greece’s bailout: debt relief is inevitable – just not yet." The Conversation (2015): <http://theconversation.com/reading-between-the-lines-of-greeces-bailout-debt-relief-is-inevitable-just-not-yet-44744>.
- Osler, Carol L. (with Dagfinn Rime and Michael King). "The market microstructure approach to foreign exchange: Looking back and looking forward." Journal of International Money and Finance 38. (2013): 95-119.
- Osler, Carol L. (with Xuhang Wang). "The Microstructure of Currency Markets,." Market Microstructure in Emerging and Developed Markets,. Ed. Kent Baker and Halil Kiymaz, Eds.. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013. Chapter 5.
- Osler, Carol L; Jennifer Bender; David Simon. "Noise Trading and Illusory Correlations in U.S. Equity Markets." Review of Finance 17. 2 (2013): 625-652.
- Osler, Carol L. "“Market Microstructure and the Profitability of Currency Trading,”." Annual Review of Finance and Economics 4. 1 (2012): 469-495.
- Osler, Carol L. (with Dagfinn Rime and Michael King). "Exchange Market Structure, Players, and Evolution." Handbook of Exchange Rates. 1st ed. vol. 1 Ed. James, J., Ian Marsh, Lucio Sarno. New York, London: Wiley and Sons, 2012. 1-25.
- Osler, Carol L. (with Thomas Oberlechner). "Survival of Overconfidence in Currency Markets”." Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. (2012).
- Osler, Carol L. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets." Journal of International Money and Finance 30. 8 (2011): 1696-1718.
- Osler, Carol L. (with Tanseli Savaser and Tan Thang Nguyen). "Asymmetric Information and the Foreign-Exchange Trades of Global Custodial Banks." Sixth Annual Central Bank Workshop on the Microstructure of Financial Markets, New York, New York. October 7, 2010.
- Osler, Carol L. (with Tanseli Savaser). "“Extreme Returns: The Case of Currencies,"." Journal of Banking and Finance 35. (2011): 2868-2880.
- Osler, Carol L. "Liquidity Dynamics in Limit Order Markets Under Asymmetric Information." Journal of Banking and Finance 34. 11 (2010): 2665-2677.
- Osler, Carol L, Bruce Mizrach. "Foreign Exchange Microstructure: A Survey." Encyclopedia of Complexity and System Science. First ed. 10 vols. 2008.
- Osler, Carol L. "Macro Lessons from Microstructure Osler." International Journal of Finance and Economics 11. 1 (2006): 55-80.
- Osler, Carol L. "Stop-Loss Orders and Price Cascades in Currency Markets." Journal of International Money and Finance 24. 2 (2005): 219-241.
- Osler,Carol L. "Currency Orders and the Predictive Success of Technical Analysis." Journal of Finance (2003).
- (2013) Market Technicians Association Recognition Award
- (2008) IBS Teaching Award