Assistant Professor of Strategy
Strategy, Technology And Innovation Management, Entrepreneurship
- University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D.
- Carnegie-Mellon University, B.S.
BUS 10aFunctions of the Capitalist Enterprise
BUS 260aCompetition and Strategy
BUS 261aManaging Technology and Innovation
BUS 263fKnowledge Flows in Global Competition
BUS 264fBusiness and the Environment
BUS 265fBusiness Strategy in Emerging Markets
Dr. Preeta M. Banerjee is an Assistant Professor of Strategy at the Brandeis International Business School, Brandeis University. Her research and teaching span the strategic management of technology and innovation in entrepreneurial endeavors and the evolution of individuals, technology, the firm, and the industry in the life sciences and clean tech industries. In addition to numerous book chapters and press articles, her work on human capital bricolage can be found in R&D Management and her work on the sociological processes relating to knowledge recombination can be found in Technovation and IEEE TEM. Her recent co-edited book with TiE-Boston Executive Director, Vanita Shastri, ‘Social Responsibility and Environmental Sustainability in Business: How Organizations Handle Profits and Social Duties’ explores the recent move of social change from corporations to the global social entrepreneur.
Banerjee is a recent recipient of the Fulbright-Nehru, the Apsen Institute Rising Star Finalist 2011, IBM Innovation Award 2010-2011 and one of the recipients of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Advanced Technology Program Award 2008-2009. She received her Ph.D. from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and her B.S. in Computational Biology and Business Administration from the Mellon College and the Tepper School, Carnegie Mellon University. Banerjee spent close to three years in consultancy working primarily with technology start-ups. She teaches courses in Competition and Strategy, Business and the Environment, Managing Technology and Innovation, and Knowledge Flows in Global Competition. She is a contributing member of the Strategic Management Society, Academy of Management, The Conscious Entrepreneurs Collaborative, and The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE) – Boston.
- Banerjee, Preeta & Bachani, Jyoti. "Communication of Measurement: Jugaad to Systematic Innovation." Innovations in People Management: Cases in Organizational Behaviour, HR, and Communication.. Ed. eds. J. Bhatnagar, G.Bajaj and S. Ghosh. Bombay India: Macmillan Publishers, 2013 (forthcoming)
- Banerjee, Preeta & Leirner, Anna. "Frugal Innovation and Returnee-Diaspora Entrepreneurship." Handbook of Research on Techno-entrepreneurship. 2 ed. Ed. F. Therin. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2013 (forthcoming)
- Banerjee, Preeta M. and Basu, Radha R.. "Frugal Innovation: Core Competencies to Address Global Sustainability." Journal of Management for Global Sustainability (2013). (forthcoming)
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Geographical Media Reputation and Technology Entrepreneurship." Management Research Review (2013). (forthcoming)
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Sustainable Human Capital: Product Innovation and Employee Partnerships in Technology Firms." Cross Cultural Management 20(2). (2013). (forthcoming)
- Banerjee, Preeta. "The ‘frugal’ in frugal innovation." Evolution of Innovation Management. Ed. eds. E. Viadot & A.Brem. Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013 (forthcoming)
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Innovation." Management: Theory, Research, and Practice. Ed. Afzal Rahim. San Diego: Cognella Academic Publishing, 2013. 107-115.
- Banerjee, P. M. and Preskill, M.. "The Role of Government in Shifting Firm Innovation Focus in the Automobile Industry." Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainability. Ed. Marcus Wagner. Sheffield UK: Greenleaf Publishing, 2012. 108-127.
- Banerjee, Preeta & Cole, Benjamin. "A study of biotechnology start-ups undergoing leadership change: Antecedents of change and endogenous performance consequences." Technovation 32. 9–10 (2012): 568–578.
- Banerjee, Preeta. "From Information Technology to Bioinformatics: Evolution of Technological Capabilities in India." Technological Forecasting & Social Change 79. 4 (2012): 665–675.
- Banerjee, Preeta. "ICT: A resource for bricolage in social entrepreneurship." Social e-enterprise: Value creation through ICT. Ed. eds. T. Torres-Coronas & M. Arántzazu-Vidal Blasco. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2012. 165-179.
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Product Innovation." Environmental Leadership. vol. 2 Ed. Deborah Rigling Gallagher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012. 721-728.
- Campbell, Benjamin and Banerjee, Preeta. "Knowledge Complementarities: Human Capital Management and R&D Investment in High-Technology Firms." International Journal of Strategic Change Management Vol.4. No.3/4 (2012): 335 - 355.
- Cole, Benjamin & Banerjee, Preeta. "Morally Contentious Technology-Field Intersections: The Case of Biotechnology in the United States." Journal of Business Ethics (2012): 1-20.
- Banerjee, P.M. and Cole, B.M. "The Social Construction of Innovative Impact: Globally Radical Technologies and Locally Radical Technologies." IEEE TEM 58. 2 (2011): 262 – 274.
- Banerjee, Preeta and Cole, B.M.. "The Breadth-of-Impact Frontier: How Entrepreneurial Firms Can Manage the Impact of their Technology." Technovation 30. 7-8 (2010): 411-419.
- Banerjee, Preeta and Shastri, Vanita, ed. Social Responsibility and Environmental Sustainability in Business: How Organizations Handle Profits and Social Duties. New Delhi: Sage, 2010.
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Is your firm established? The role of recognition in entrepreneurial firm transition." Handbook of Research on High Technology Entrepreneurs. Ed. Mustafa F. Ozbilgin and Ayala Malach-Pines. Edward Elgar Press, 2010
- Cole, B. and Banerjee, P.M.. "Unitary regulatory supervision or multi-entity supervision? A computational approach to a numbers problem in financial regulation." Regulation & Governance 4. 4 (2010): 435–464.
- Banerjee, Preeta and Campbell, Benjamin. "Inventor bricolage and firm technology research and development." R&D Management 39. 5 (2009): 473 – 487.
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Financing as Mother's Milk for International Biotechnology Start-ups." International Journal of Technoentrepreneurship 2. 1 (2009): 45-63.
- Banerjee, Preeta. Investment Banks and Credit Assignment: Managing Selection of International Biotechnology Start-ups. Proc. of International Research Meet on Entrepreneurship in India and China. Manipal, India: 2009.
- Banerjee, Preeta and Chiu, C.Y.. "Professional Biculturalism Enculturation Training: A new Perspective on Managing the R&D and Marketing Interface." Current Topics in Management 13. (2008): 145-160..
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Leveraging Existing Technology: The Role of Alliances in Cross-application." Strategic Management Review 2. 1 (2008): 1-22.
- Banerjee, Preeta. "Video Games Aren't a Waste of Time." Business Week (2008): <http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/feb2008/bs20080219_935082.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_business+schools>.
- J. Klafehn, P. M. Banerjee and C.Y. Chiu. "Navigating Cultures: A Psychological Model of Cultural Intelligence." Handbook on Cultural Intelligence. Ed. Ang, S. & Van Dyne, L.. New York: M. E. Sharpe, 2008
Awards & Honors:
- (2011) Fulbright-Nehru Scholar
- (2010) Brandeis Asia-Pacific Center Faculty Award
- (2010) IBM Innovation Award
- (2008) NIST/Advanced Technology Program Award
Office:Sachar International Center, 210