Catherine L Mann
Barbara and Richard M. Rosenberg Professor of Global Finance
Empirical international trade, capital flows, and exchange rates; globalization of Information technology and economic performance
see details at www.CLMann.com
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Ph.D.
ECON 161aInternational Finance
ECON 201aGlobal Economic Environment
ECON 203fAdvanced International Macroeconomics: Theory, Evidence, and Policy
ECON 262fOutsourcing and Offshoring: Multinationals, Technology, and Globalization
ECON 332fTopics in Empirical International Economics: Questions, Methods, and Data
Dr. Catherine L. Mann (www.CLMann.com) joined the faculty of International Business School at Brandeis in 2006 after more than 20 years working in policy institutions and think tanks in Washington DC, including the Peterson Institute for International Economics, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, the President's Council of Economic Advisers at the White House, and the World Bank. Her current research focuses on two related topics: international trade, capital flows, and the dollar; and globalization of Information technology and economic performance.
On the economic and policy implications of globalization of information technology and services, she authored Accelerating the Globalization of America: The Role for Information Technology (2006) and Global Electronic Commerce: A Policy Primer (2000); as well as numerous articles, including “Assessing the Potential Benefit of Trade Facilitation: A Global Perspective,” World Economy (2005) and “The US Current Account, New Economy Services, and Implications for Sustainability,” Review of International Economics (2004)
On the economic and policy implications of the US current account and dollar exchange rate, she authored Is the US Trade Deficit Sustainable? (1999) and notable articles including: “Managing Exchange Rates: Evidence of Global Re-balancing or Global Co-dependency?” Business Economics (2004) and “Perspectives on the US Current Account Deficit and Sustainability,” Journal of Economic Perspectives (2002).
- Mann, Catherine L and Xiupeng Liu. "¿ The Information Technology Agreement: Sui Generis or Model Stepping Stone?¿." Ed. Richard Baldwin and Patrick Low., 2008 (forthcoming)
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Globalization of Venture Capital: A Vernon-Dunning Synthesis with Deal-by-Deal Data on Information Technology¿." Kauffman-Planck Annual Summit ¿Is Openness Good for Entrepreneurship?¿., 2008 (forthcoming)
- Mann, Catherine L and Katharina Pluck. "Understanding the US Trade Deficit." G-7 Current Account Sustainability and Adjustment. Ed. Richard Clarida and Martin Feldstein. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2007 (forthcoming)
- Mann, Catherine L. "Global Imbalance: the Source, the Adjustment Mechanisms, the Implications." Global Imbalances: As Giants Evolve, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston 51st Economic Conference, Chatham, MA June 2006. 2007. (forthcoming)
- Mann, Catherine L. "Globalization of Services: Friend or Foe?." Global Capitalism Unbound: Winners and Losers from Offshore Outsourcing. Ed. Eva Paus. New York: Palgrave, 2007 (forthcoming)
- Mann, Catherine L. "Trade Deficit." International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences. second ed. 2007. (forthcoming)
- Mann, Catherine L. "Disciplined Borrowing Needed to Fix Euro Crisis." Boston Globe July 21, 2012: Op-E
- Mann, Catherine L. "“China Trade in IT Products: Variety, Scale, and Economic Gains." China Research Linnaeus University Feb 6, 2013.
- Mann, Catherine L with Oren Klachkin. "“U.S. Treasury Auction Yields During Boom, Bust, and Quantitative Easing: Surprise! Role for Fed and Foreign Purchasers,”." first version Sept 2011 updated March 2012.
- Mann, Catherine L, Nathan Jurgenson. "Globalization of Information and Communications Technologies." Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization. First ed. na vols. 2012.
- Mann, Catherine L. "Information Technology Intensity, Diffusion, and Job Creation." March 4.
- Mann, Catherine L. "Information Technology, Globalization, and Growth: Role for Scale Economies, Terms of Trade, and Variety." Ascent After Decline: Re-Growing Global Economies After the Great Recession. Ed. Danny Leipziger and Otaviano Canuto. Washington DC: World Bank, 2012
- Mann, Catherine L. "“Start-up Firms in the Financial Crisis,”." Communities and Banking , Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Fall 2011.
- Mann, Catherine L. "“Supply Chain Logistics, Trade Facilitation, and International Trade: A Macroeconomic View,”." Journal of Supply Chain Management 48. 3 (2012): 7 to 14.
- Mann, Catherine L/Matthias Helble, John S. Wilson. "Aid for Trade Facilitation." Review of World Economies (2012).
- Mann, Catherine L and Paroma Sanyal. "“The Financial Structure of Startup Firms: The Role for Asset, Information, and Owner Characteristics”." Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Working Paper, November 2010.
- Mann, Catherine L, with Feenstra, Lipsey, Branstetter, Foley, Harrigan, Jensen, Kletzer, Schott, Wright. "REPORT ON THE STATE OF AVAILABLE DATA FOR THE STUDY OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FOREIGN DIRECT INVESTMENT." NBER wp 16254 August 2010.
- Mann, Catherine L. "‘International Trade in the Digital Age’." Testimony before the Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs, and Global Competitiveness of the Senate Finance Committee. November 18, 2010.
- Mann, Catherine L. "“External Imbalances: Costs and Consequences of Unsustainable Trajectories” in Rebalancing the Global Economy: A Primer for Policymaking”, Stijn Claessens, Simon Evenett, Bernard Hoekman eds., 2010." A VoxEU.org publication (2011).
- Mann, Catherine L and John S. Wilson and Matthias Helbe. "“Aid for Trade Facilitation” Policy Reseach Working Paper 5064, World Bank, September 2009..
- Mann, Catherine L and Sarah Cleeland Knight. "“Electronic Commerce: Political, Social, and Economic Dimensions of the Research Agenda”." International Studies Compendium Project. Wiley-Blackwell, 2009
- Mann, Catherine L and Xupeng Liu. "“ The Information Technology Agreement: Sui Generis or Model Stepping Stone?”." Multilateralizing Regionalism. Ed. Richard Baldwin and Patrick Low. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009
- Mann, Catherine L with Fabia Gumbau-Brisa. "“Reviving Mortgage Securitization: Lessons from Brady Bond and Duration Analysis” Public Policy Discussion Paper 09-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston..
- Mann, Catherine L. "· “Globalization and Prices of IT Software and Services: Measurement and Implications”,." Conference on Measurement Issues Arising from the Growth of Globalization, sponsored by W.E. Upjohn Institute and the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA
- Mann, Catherine L. "“ Gobalization of Venture Capital: A Vernon-Dunning Synthesis with deal-by-deal data for information technology”." Entrepreneurship and Openness. Ed. Audretsch, Litan, Strom. Northampton,MA: Edward Elgar, 2009
- Mann, Catherine L. "“ICT, Trade, and Innovation: The Channels of Contribution”,." OECD Working Party of the Trade Committee, June 2009
- Mann, Catherine L. "“International Capital Flows and the Sustainability of the Current Account Deficit”." The Long Term International Economic Position of the United States , Special Report 20. Ed. C. Fred Bergsten. Washington DC: Peterson Institute for International Economics, 2009
- Mann, Catherine L. "“The United States and International Capital Markets: Who will finance the stimulus package and what are the implications?”." TDPE Public Lecture. Syracuse University, April 2009.
- Mann, Catherine L and J. Brad Jensen. "¿Vertical Integration of Services Trade and FDI¿." Rachel McCulloch Festconference,. Brandeis. June 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "Trade facilitation¿)." · World Bank. April 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Global Economic Imbalances¿." Fredrick Ebert Stiftung, Berlin. June 2007,.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Globalization of Services, Trade, and Jobs¿." Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Educators Conference. Boston. June 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Globalization of Services: Opportunities and Challenges for both ¿North¿ and ¿South¿)." Bryant and Brown Universities conference. April 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Globalization of Services¿." Xaoikai Yang Memorial Lecture Society of Economists. Hobart Australia. September 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Globalization of information technology and white-collar jobs¿." Council on Foreign Relations, NY. May 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Services and Trade Facilitation¿." World Services Congress, Bogota. June 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Technology, Trade in Services and Economic Growth¿." Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development Trade Directorate Forum on Trade, Innovation, and Growth. Paris. October 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "¿Venture Capital and Innovation¿." U Kansas Self fellowship. ·(June 2007,.
- Mann, Catherine L and J. Bradford Jensen. "Vertical Integration in Services in US Multinational Firms." Deustche Bundesbank/NBER Workshop on Micro-data Based Research on FDI, Cambridge, MA. March 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L and Katharina Pluck, Roland Robertson and Jan Aart Scholte. "International Trade." Enclyclopedia of Globalization. 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L. "Information Technology, Productivity Growth and International Trde in Services." Globalization of the Production of Services: Implications for Small Open Economies, Stockholm Sweden. November 2006.
- Mann, Catherine L. "The US International Trade and Financial Imbalances: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Choices." Center for Ingrative Leadership University of Minnesota. Minneapolis. March 2007.
- Mann, Catherine L.. "Globalization and Entrepreneurship." Kauffman Global Scholars program. Kansas City. February 2007.
- Katharina Pluck and Catherine L. Mann. "The United States as Net Debtor: How much longer the 'Exorbitant Priviledge'." Sharing the Growing Burden of World Order. Ed. Jens van Scherpenbert and Katharina Pluck. Berlin, Germany: SWP, 2006
- Mann, Catherine L. "Information Technology, the National Interest, and the Global Economy." Technology CEO Council. Carmel, CA. June 2006.
- Mann, Catherine L. "Prices for International Services Transactions: Issues and a Framework for Development." Price and Productivity Measurement. Ed. W. Erwin Diewert, Bert Balk, Dennis Fixler, Kevin Fox, Alice Nakamura. Victoria, BC: Trafford press, 2006
- Mann, Catherine L. "Racing to the Top." Rev. of The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. Issues in Science and Technology The National Academies vol. Winter 200
- Mann, Catherine L. "Risk, Return, Diversification and the Allocation of Global Savings." A World of Scare Resources: Is Global Growth Under Threat. Aix en Provence, France. July 2006.
- Mann, Catherine L. "The Globalization of Venure Finance." Understanding Entrepreneurship: A Research and Policy Report. Ed. Kauffman Foundation. Kansas City: Kauffman Foundation, 2006
- Mann, Catherine L. Accelerating the Globalization of America: The Role for Information Technology. Washington DC: Peterson Institute for International Economics, 2006.
Catherine L Mann
Office:Lemberg Academic Center, 124