Elizabeth Brainerd’s research focuses on labor and health economics, with particular interest in understanding the social and health consequences of the transition to capitalism in formerly socialist countries. Her work has examined changes in the gender wage gap and wage inequality in eastern Europe, the impact of World War II on marriage and fertility of Russian women, and the impact of economic transition on mortality in post-socialist countries. The scope of her work also includes a study of the impact of globalization on relative women’s wages in the United States. Current research projects include an analysis of the growing life expectancy gap between U.S. and European women, and an examination of the causes of unbalanced sex ratios in the former Soviet Union. Brainerd received her B.A. in economics and Russian from Bowdoin College and her Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University. Prior to coming to Brandeis, Brainerd was a Professor in the Economics Department at Williams College.
Harvard University, Ph.D.
Columbia University, M.I.A.
Bowdoin College, B.A.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth. "Fertility Trends in the Formerly Socialist Countries of Europe." International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition. 2nd ed. 2015. (forthcoming)
- Brainerd, Elizabeth. "Marriage and Divorce in Revolutionary Russia: A Demographic Analysis." Russia's Great War and Revolution, 1914-1922: The Centennial Reappraisal (Volume: The Home Front). Ed. Anthony Heywood and John Steinberg. Bloomington, Indiana: Slavica, 2015 (forthcoming)
- Brainerd, Elizabeth and Nidhiya Menon. "Seasonal Effects of Water Quality: The Hidden Costs of the Green Revolution to Infant and Child Health in India." Journal of Development Economics 107. March 2014 (2014): 49-64.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth. "Can Government Policies Reverse Undesirable Declines in Fertility?." IZA World of Labor 23. (2014)
- Brainerd, Elizabeth. "The Demographic Transformation of Post-Socialist Countries: Causes, Consequences, and Questions." Economies in Transition: The Long-Run View. Ed. Gerard Roland. Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. 57-83.
- Brainerd, Elizabeth. "Reassessing the Standard of Living in the Soviet Union: An Analysis Using Archival and Anthropometric Data." Journal of Economic History 70. 1 (2010): 83-117.
- (2015) President-Elect, Association for Comparative Economic Studies
- (2015) Visiting Scholar, Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, Harvard University