Ben Gomes-Casseres is an authority on alliance strategy and management. He has researched this topic for 25 years, taught it to MBAs and executives, and consulted with major companies worldwide.
At Brandeis, Ben directs the MBA program at IBS, and co-directs the Asper Center for Global Entrepreneurship. Before coming to Brandeis, he served a decade on the faculty of the Harvard Business School; before that, he was an economist at the World Bank.
Ben's most recent book is "Remix Strategy: The Three Laws of Business Combinations" (Harvard Business Review Press, 2015). Earlier, he authored "The Alliance Revolution: The New Shape of Business Rivalry" (Harvard University Press, 1996) and co-authored "Mastering Alliance Strategy: A Comprehensive Guide to Design, Management, and Organization" (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2003). Ben's work has also appeared in various scholarly journals and industry periodicals. Many of his publications, including current blog postings, are at http://www.alliancestrategy.com.
Ben is a frequent speaker at industry conferences and a consultant and executive trainer to Fortune 100 companies.
Harvard University, D.B.A.
Princeton University, M.P.A.
Brandeis University, B.A.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. Remix Strategy: The Three Laws of Business Combinations. Boston: Harvard Business Review Press, 2015. (forthcoming)
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. Various blog articles and videos on alliance strategy
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Profitability, Ownership Structure, and Competitive Advantage: Empirical Patterns, Theory, and Preliminary Tests." 2008.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "How Alliances Reshape Competition." Handbook of Strategic Alliances. Ed. Oded Shenkar and Jeffrey J. Reuer. Thousand Oaks, CA:: Sage Publications, 2006
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Vendor or Partner?." Outsourcing Venture Management Quarter 3, 2006.
- Gomes-Casseres,Benjamin co-auth. Adam Jaffe and John Hagedoorn. "Do alliances promote knowledge flows?." Journal of Financial Economics (2005).
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Alliance Strategy: Managing Beyond the Alliance." CriticalEYE (2004): 4-8.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Competing in Alliance Constellations: A Primer for Managers." Global Corporate Evolution. Ed. Michael A. Trick. Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2004
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Competitive Advantage in Alliance Constellations." Strategic Organization 1. 3 (2003): 327-335.
- Gomes-Casseres,Benjamin Co-Authored with James Bamford and Michael Robinson. Mastering Alliance Strategy: Design, Management and Organization. San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, 2003.
- Gomes-Casseres,Benjamin. The Alliance Revolution: The New Shape of Business Rivalry. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press, 1996.
- Gomes-Casseres,Benjamin Co-Authored with David Yoffie. International Trade and Competition: Cases and Notes in Strategy and Management. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Gomes-Casseres,Benjamin. "Group vs. Group: How Alliance Networks Compete." Harvard Business Review (1994).
- Gomes-Casseres,Benjamin Co-Authored with David Yoffie, Edward Elgar, co-ed. David Yoffie. The International Political Economy of Direct Foreign Investment,. Aldershot UD: Edward Elgar Publishers, 1993.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Firm Ownership Preferences and Host Government Restrictions: An Integrated Approach." Journal of International Business Studies (1990): 1-22.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin. "Ownership Structures of Foreign Subsidiaries: Theory and Evidence." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization (1989): 1-25.
- (2008) Excellence in Teaching Award (Brandeis IBS)
- (2000 - 2001) Decade Award for Most Influential Article Published in Journal of International Business in 1990's (Academy of International Business)
- (1998) Distinguished Service Award (Brandeis IBS)
- (1996) Distinguished Service Award (Brandeis IBS)
- (1987) Barry M. Richman Award for best dissertation in international management (Academy of Management)
- (1976) Phi Beta Kappa
- (1976) Summa Cum Laude, Highest Honors in History (Brandeis Univ.)