My research interests on in the fields of the economics of art and culture and industrial organization. Specifically, recent interests have been in the areas of investment returns to violins, a structural analysis of price discrimination at the Fulton fish market, and a better method for estimating returns using repeat sales data on unique items such as art and real estate.
I enjoy teaching all levels of industrial organization and introductory economics.
My homepage is located at http://people.brandeis.edu/~kgraddy/
Princeton University, Ph.D.
Columbia University, M.B.A.
Tulane University, B.A.
Tulane University, B.S.
- Graddy, Kathryn. "“Taste Endures! The Rankings of Roger de Piles (†1709) and Three Centuries of Art Prices,”." Journal of Economic History (2013). (forthcoming)
- Ashenfelter, Orley and Kathryn Graddy. "Art Auctions." A Handbook of Cultural Economics. 2nd ed. Ed. Ruth Towse. Edward Elgar, 2010 (forthcoming)
- Graddy, Kathryn, Jon Hamilton and Rachel Campbell. "Repeat Sales Indexes: Estimation Without Assuming that Errors in Asset Returns are Independently Distributed." Real Estate Economics 40. spring (2012): 131-166.
- Graddy, Kathryn, Hall, George. "A Dynamic Model of Price Discrimination and Inventory Management at the Fulton fish Market." Journal of Economics Behavior and Organization 80. 1 (2011): 6-19.
- Graddy, Kathryn, and Orley Ashenfelter. "Sale Rates and Price Movements in Art Auctions." American Economic Review Paper and Proceedings 101. 3 (2011): 212-216.
- Graddy, Kathryn; Chanont Banternghansa. "The Impact of the Droit de Suite in the UK: An Empirical Analysis." Journal of Cultural Economics 35. 2 (2011): 81-100.
- Graddy, Kathryn; Philip Margolis. "Fiddling with Value: Violins as an Investment?." Economic Inquiry 49. 4 (2011): 1083-1097.
- Graddy, Kathryn and Peter Kennedy. "When are Supply and Demand Determined Simultaneously?." Eastern Economic Journal 36. Spring (2010): 188-197.
- Paul Krugman, Robin Wells, Graddy, Kathryn. Essentials of Economics, 2e. Second Edition ed. Worth Publishers, 2010.
- Graddy, Kathryn. "A Note on Robust Estimation of Repeat Sales Indexes with Serial Correlation in Asset Returns." September 2009.
- Graddy, Kathryn. "Book Review: Don Thompson's The $12 Million dollar shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art." Rev. of The $12 Million Dollar Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art, Journal of Cultural Econoimcs vol. 33 May 2009: 233-237.
- Graddy, Kathryn; Alan Beggs. "Anchoring Effects: Evidence from Art Auctions." American Economic Review 2009. June (2009): 1027-1039.
- Graddy, Kathryn; Alan Beggs. "Failure to Meet the Resserve price: The Impact on the Returns to Art." Journal of Cultural Economics 2008. 32 (2008): 301-320.
- (2012) Pommerhene Prize for Best Paper in the Journal of Cultural Economics