George Hall is a professor in the Department of Economics and the International Business School. His research focuses on macroeconomics, fiscal policy, and industrial organization. Prior to joining Brandeis in 2006, he served on the faculty at Yale University and the research staff of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
University of Chicago, Ph.D.
Oberlin College, B.A.
- Hall, George J. and Thomas J. Sargent. "A Pictoral History of the U.S. Federal Debt Limit." The Foundation of Liberty: Magna Carta After 800 Years, The Hoover Institution, Stanford University. June 25-26, 2015.
- Hall, George J. and Thomas J. Sargent. "Fiscal Discriminations in Three Wars." Journal of Monetary Economics 61. 1 (2014): 148-166.
- Hall, George J. and Thomas J. Sargent. "Fiscal prioritisation: Lessons from three wars." Vox (2013)
- Hall, George J. , Adam Copeland and Wendy Dunn. "Inventories and the Automobile Market." RAND Journal of Economics 42. 1 (2011): 121-149.
- Hall, George J. and Adam Copeland. "The Response of Prices, Sales, and Output to Temporary Changes in Demand." Journal of Applied Econometrics 26. 2 (2011): 232-269.
- Hall, George J. and Kathryn Graddy. "A Dynamic Model of Price Discrimination and Inventory Managment at the Fulton Fish Market." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 80. 1 (2011): 6-19.
- Hall, George J. and Thomas J. Sargent. "Interest Rate Risk and Other Determinants of Post WWII U.S. Government Debt/GDP Dynamics." American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics 3. 3 (2011): 192-214.
- Hall, George J. and Thomas J. Sargent. "Net Interest Payments on the Federal Debt: A Flawed Measure." Vox February 17. (2010)
- Hall, George J.. "How Will We Pay Down the Bush-Obama Debt? Lessons from the Last 60 Years." Rosenberg Institute of Global Finance Brief (2010)
- Hall, George J. and John Rust. "The (S,s) Rule is an Optimal Trading Strategy in a Class of Commodity Price Speculation Problems." Economic Theory 30. 3 (2007): March.
- Hall, George J.. "Exchange Rates and Casualties During the First World War." Journal of Monetary Economics 51. 8 (2004): 1711-1742.
- Hall, George J. and John Rust. "Middle Men versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange." Journal of Political Economy 111. 2 (2003): 353-403.