Visit the Department of Theater Arts for more specific information or to contact the program's staff and arrange a campus visit.
Theater Arts: Design and Acting
Brandeis University's graduate program in theater arts is designed to provide the highest level of theatrical investigation and practice. This prepares talented students for a professional life in the theater in the areas of acting and design. With an intention to create young theater artists who will shape the future of American and world theater, Brandeis theater arts is dedicated to the transmission of technique-based knowledge, as well as providing professional-level performance and design experiences in the various venues with the Brandeis Theater Company in the Spingold Center for the Performing Arts. Our goal is to set the stage for a theater of the future that is alive with excitement, clarity and surprise.
- M.F.A. in Design (full-time only)*
- M.F.A. in Acting (full-time only)
For the most updated course listing, course descriptions, and degree requirements, please click here.
We encourage you to explore one of the department’s greatest assets through our faculty pages. Learn more about the people who will help guide you along your graduate school path here.
Consortium: Our membership in the Boston consortium allows you to take courses at Tufts University, Boston University, and Boston College, thus enhancing your Brandeis experience and the spirit of collaboration which Brandeis embodies.
Student Services: At Brandeis, you will become part of a community that is strengthened by life both within and outside of the classroom and laboratory walls. Please visit Student Services to see the array of University resources, events, and programming for graduate students, including our Graduate Student Services Center, Off-Campus Housing, Health Insurance, English as a Second Language (ESL) program, Disability Resources, Counseling Center, Career Services, and the Graduate Student Association.
*M.F.A. in Design: The Design program is in the process of being phased out. Therefore, we are no longer accepting applications for admission.
M.F.A. in Acting: Admits every three years for the fall only. The next entering class will begin in August 2014.
M.F.A. in Acting: Mar. 15
M.F.A. in Acting applicants must submit:
- An application to the graduate school, which can be electronically submitted here;
- An application fee (please click here for instructions);
- Official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended; applicants must provide a final transcript indicating successful completion of an undergraduate degree program before registration;
- Two letters of recommendation, which the admissions committee prefers to be submitted online (please see click here for more information;
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resume;
- A statement of purpose indicating your reasons for undertaking graduate study. In addition, please describe your qualifications for the academic program and your objectives in undertaking this program.
- Artistic resume;
- Head shot: Please mail a copy of your head shot and artistic resume directly to the Theater Arts Department prior to your audition:
Theater Arts Department
Waltham, MA 02452-9110
- Interview and audition: After an application is submitted and all supporting credentials are received, the applicant should contact the theater program office for an appointment.
1. Prepare two contrasting pieces totaling not more than four minutes.
2. Select one contemporary and one classical piece, if possible.
3. Select material that you love and that speaks to your idea of theater.
4. Select material that is roughly within your own age range.
5. If you wish to sing or dance, please provide your own music or be prepared to perform a cappella.
International students: For additional requirements for international applicants (non-US citizens or non-permanent residents), minimum TOEFL and IELTS scores, and important information regarding visas, please click here.
For a more comprehensive description of application requirements, please click here.
Generous financial aid is available; for more information please click here.