Free, Confidential Consultation

Concerned about your own or someone else's substance use? Schedule a consultation with Caroline Eichmann at the Counseling Center (781) 736-3730.


If you have a life threatening emergency, call Brandeis University Police at 781-736-3333.

Psychological Counseling Center

To reach the Brandeis Counseling Center, call (781) 736-3730 or visit the Brandeis Counseling Center website.

Signs Of An Alcohol or Drug Problem

Photo of students on Rabb steps

Students often ask the question, "How do I know if my alcohol or drug use is a problem?"

Here is a list of signs and behaviors that may indicate that a person may be experiencing a problem with alcohol or drugs:

  • Driving while intoxicated or high
  • Blackouts
  • Drinking until you pass out or vomit
  • Neglecting academics or work obligations (i.e., getting high before class or work, skipping class or work due to your use or hangovers, missed deadlines)
  • Trouble with police and other authorities
  • Using alone on a regular basis or at inappropriate times
  • Protecting or hiding your stash
  • Relationship difficulties (i.e., arguments with friends or family while using or complaints from family and friends about your use)
  • Feeling out of control (not being able to stop or cut down), regretful or embarrassed about behavior while under the influence
  • Sneaking use and not being able to stick to limits you may have set

Use a self screening test to learn about your own alcohol use.  Learn more about your drinking.

Call Lauren at the Health Center at 781-736-3693 or to talk about your results!

If you are concerned about a friend's substance use, reach out. Visit How To Help A Friend.