School Health Plan

Questions regarding coverage and annual insurance reporting?

Call University Health Plans at 1-800-437-6448.

or email

OBTAINING INSURANCE CARDS:Upon enrollment in the School Health Plan insurance cards will be sent to undergraduate student mailboxes, domestic graduate students' listed addresses, and  international graduate students' department mailstops.

An insurance card is not always needed to access care but you will need to  know your insurance membership information which can be accessed on line at University Health Plans.

School Insurance Plan (SHP)

Each year, all full and 3/4 time students must enroll in the qualifying School Health Plan (SHP) or waive the plan and report their own comparable health insurance coverage. This is required by  Massachusetts Regulations to assure that students have adequate coverage. The school is required to offer a qualifying health  plan known as the School Health Plan (SHP). Any students can purchase this plan which meets Massachusetts, Federal Affordable Care Act, and Visa requirements. All international students will be automatically enrolled in the school health plan. The SHP becomes your primary coverage plan and you are the subscriber. All other students can use this link to  waive or enroll in the school brokered health plan .

University Health Plans:

For questions about the SHP  coverage, costs, enrollment or the waiver process please go to university health plans website, call University Health Plans at 1-800-437-6448, or email


The Health Center and its Student Health Advisory Committee have developed a Health Coverage Worksheet to help with comparisons between the school health plan (SHP) and other options you may have. . Please review these requirements to assure you have adequate coverage in the area you are attending school.  You may need to purchase a rider, additional coverage, or the SHP.  It is important for you to consider that plans with high deductibles and co insurances place you at risk for incurring significant out of pocket expenses  well beyond the cost of the SHP.

For more information on Massachusetts health insurance options see:

If you have questions regarding your school bill please contact Student Financial Services at 781-736-3700.


Brandeis University has asked the health center to bill for its services to offset the costs of health services.  We do not collect  individual co-pays for visits as the University covers those costs out of student fees. Services such as laboratory samples sent for off-site testing, specialty providers seen outside of  the health center, and pharmacy services, even those delivered to the health center, are billed to  patient  insurance plans by these providers directly. Students will be responsible to these providers for  costs not covered by their insurance. It is the responsibility of the student to let the staff know if they have specific insurance requirements for laboratory providers, specialty providers, and pharmaceuticals. If a student has a concern regarding confidentiality of services related to billing they should bring that up with their provider at the time of the visit.