Your major is just the beginning...
Your major helps you develop knowledge, skills and abilities that employers seek.
To identify additional skills and abilities you have developed through your coursework, activities and work, consider using the reflection worksheets (accessible via B.hired > Resources) and/or Type Focus (accessible via B.hired > Resources).
The Brandeis Internship Exchange is a convenient online tool to find and share internship opportunities.
Just log on with your UNET ID and use the advanced search to search internships by major.
A major in Biology provides excellent preparation for students intent on careers in biological research who want to go to graduate school; for those seeking careers in medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry; for those interested in the allied health professions such as public health, genetic counseling or physical therapy; and for those interested in careers as physician assistants.
The undergraduate program in biology, leading either to the B.A. or to the B.S. degree, is designed to give students an understanding of fundamental and current biological knowledge in a variety of fields.
The Hiatt Center is pleased to provide a list of organizations, titles and fields of alumni who majored in your discipline. The list represents a wide array of professions, which is indicative of the wealth of transferable skills students cultivate as a Biology major at Brandeis.
|1996||Grayslake Animal Hospital||Veterinarian||Animal Care|
|1997||Kansas University Hospital||Neurosurgery Resident||Health Care|
|1997||Cedars-Sinai Medical Center||Physician, Internal Medicine||Health Care|
|1998||Brigham and Women's Hospital||Director of Alumni & Development Information Services||Health Care Administration|
|1999||IHS Fort Defiance Indian Hospital||Pediatric Dentist||Health Care|
||Attleboro Gastroenterology||Physician, Internal Medicine||Health Care|
|2000||Union Memorial Hospital, #400||Physician, Orthopedics||Health Care|
|2001||Cengage Learning||Technology Project Manager||Other|
|2002||University of California, San Diego||Resident Physician||Health Care|
|2003||Norwood Hospital||Physician, Anesthesiologist||Health Care|
|2005||Accion Solidaria||Program Director||Counseling and Social Services|
|2006||Pfizer, Inc.||Senior Medical Director||Industry|
|2006||CRA International -Pharmaceuticals||Analyst||Consulting|
|2006||Massachusetts General Hospital||Clinical Research Coordinator, General Medicine||Health Care|
|2007||New England Center for Children||Level 2 Teacher||Education, PreK to 12|
Your program of study at Brandeis University provides both field-specific knowledge and a broad range of transferable skills, abilities and knowledge that are sought after by all employers in all fields and enhance your experience and success in the world of work. To identify additional skills and abilities you have developed through coursework, activities and work, take TypeFocus.
In addition to you coursework, internships can be extremely beneficial as you develop academic and professional skills. The Brandeis Internship Exchange is an easy and convenient online tool for you to find and share real internship opportunities. Just log on with your UNET ID and use the advanced search to identify majors' internships.
- Appropriate Vault Guides [Link]
- The European Federation of Biophysics Organization
- The American Society for Cell Biology
- The American Institute of Biological Sciences
- International Biometric Society
- U.S. Geological Survey - Biological Resources
- BioTech on the Net
- Careers in Genetic Counseling
- Science Careers Web
- Health Management Careers
- Careers in Forensic Science
- Careers in Genetic Counseling
- Medical/Health Exploration
- Center for Health Careers
- Healthcare Career Resource Center: Site includes short history of medical careers, healthcare career information and information on schools and scholarships
- Biological and Medical Scientists Occupational Outlook Handbook, U.S. Dept of Labor
- Sciencejobs.com: the best jobs from the leaders in bioscience
- Biology jobs and other science jobs
- Biology Job Search Links
- Bio View – company information and daily industry news, biotechnology and pharmaceutical employment site, job listings
- Science careers and job hunting
- Maritime Employment Opportunities
- Internship Hotspots