WOW Fellows 2013
This summer, 43 Brandeis students are interning in 40+ different industries across 8 states and 12 countries!
Follow their journeys into the World of Work on Hiatt's summer internship blog.
New WOW Blog Posts
World of Work Fellowships
**Hiatt is no longer taking applications for WOW Summer 2014; the deadline was 4/1/14. **
Hiatt's WOW fellowship program is a highly competitive program that awards stipends to Brandeis undergraduates who pursue summer internships with organizations that are not be able to provide a salary. By eliminating financial barriers that could preclude students from following their career interests, the WOW program encourages students to use the summer to explore career fields, gain new skills, and experience the World of Work.
Types of WOW Awards
There are several types of WOW awards. Students will be considered for all appropriate sources of funding.
- Universal WOW (for internships in any industry - $3000 stipend)
- Louis D. Brandeis Legacy Fund for Social Justice WOW (for internships addressing issues of social justice and/or social inequalities). In previous years, students have secured internships in the fields of domestic violence, poverty, human rights, equal access to healthcare, education, housing, etc. ($3500 domestic/$4000 international stipend)
- Judith Cossin Berkman '59 Endowed Internship Fund in Social Work (for direct experience in social work, 1 available annually) ($5000 stipend)
- Theater WOW (for an internship in the theater industry, 1 available annually) ($3000 stipend). Preference given to those in technical/behind-the-scenes internships.
- Science WOW (for an internship in lab science or technical writing, 1 available annually) ($3000 stipend)
- Alexander P. Heckler/Governor Ann Richards Internship Fund in Politics/Public Service ($3500 stipend for political internships in Washington, D.C., 1 available annually)
- WOW also supports several, paid internships with premier social justice organizations who have reserved a slot exclusively for a Brandeis student. These opportunities can be found on B.hired. Deadlines in February.
- Students may only receive one WOW fellowship during their Brandeis career
- Applicants must be in good academic and community standing
- The internship must be
- take place in the summer
- at least 8 weeks in length
- at least 200 hours of work
- You can create an internship on your own or secure an offer from an existing program. (**Please Note: students who want to pursue internships that are arranged for them by an internship placement service or through a third-party organization are not eligible to apply to the WOW program).
- You must not be receiving any additional funding for the internship (i.e. outside stipends, housing allowances, etc). If you have questions about this, please contact Jane Pavese at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The WOW application has five components.
*Please CLICK HERE to view details for each application component.*
- An online application (essay questions, site info, biographical information)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A resume
- A copy of your academic transcript
- A 'letter of offer' from your internship supervisor
- WOW Internship Funding Brochure
- Tips for Finding an Internship
- Application Timeline
- Program Expectations
- Program Requirements
- Previous WOW Recipients
- WOW Learning-Based Outcomes