SUBMITTING YOUR WOW APPLICATION
It is your responsibility to submit all required documents to Hiatt by the deadline. We cannot accept partial or late applications.
The online application will be submitted electronically. Please deliver the following documents, in person to Hiatt (hard copies, no emails):
- Letter of offer
- Letter of recommendation can either be submitted in person (in sealed envelope), or sent directly through the online recommendation form.
Study Abroad Submission
Students studying abroad can still apply to WOW, and are subject to same deadlines. Please adhere to the following, modified instructions for submitting an application from abroad.
Before You Begin
- Prior to applying to WOW, you must have secured an internship offer from an organization.
- Please review the Eligibility Criteria to ensure you are eligible to apply.
- You may want to consult the Frequently Asked Questions page.
- View slides from the "Applying to WOW" workshop
- Similar to other funding programs at Brandeis, there are a limited number of WOW awards. Each year we receive many more applications than available fellowships. As you secure your internship and complete the application process, please consider other options should you not receive a WOW award.
There are five pieces to the WOW application. Please click on each component below to learn more.
The online application has three components:
- Biographical data
- Information about your internship site
- Short essay questions are a crucial component of your application and weigh heavily in the committee's decision-making process. We ask that you:
- Clearly articulate your interest in the proposed industry and this particular organization & how you have prepared for this experience.
- Define learning goals (academic, personal, career) that you hope to achieve this summer
- Explain how you plan to achieve those goals, citing specific examples from the work you will be doing
- *Note* essay questions can be viewed on page 2 of the online application
Letter of Offer
The Selection Committee will want to know that a significant conversation was conducted to identify a strong fit between your goals and the experience the organization can provide.
You must secure a letter from your future supervisor confirming that he/she has offered you an internship at the organization. The letter should:
- Specify your dates of employment, which must be at least 8 weeks, 200 hours
- Confirm that the internship is unpaid
- Explain your responsibilities in detail (or attach a detailed job description)
- Acknowledge and support your learning goals (from your WOW application)
- Detail how you will be supervised (if you will be working off-site or off-hours, including remote hours, please indicate that)
- Preferably be on company letterhead, signed by your supervisor
- You may wish to present this Letter of Offer explanation form to your supervisor for guidance
- Sample letter of offer
Letter of Recommendation
- Please select a reference that can best speak to your relevant qualifications and fit within this particular internship opportunity.
- You may choose a current or previous supervisor, faculty, or other Brandeis staff.
- Recommendations from peers are not permitted.
- Recommendations from your proposed summer internship site supervisor are not permitted.
- References may submit letters one of three ways:
- Advice for selecting references
- Sample letter of recommendation
- Please submit only 1 letter. Hiatt will not read nor consider any additional recommendations.
- Official transcripts can be requested through the Registrar's office.
- Unofficial transcript can also be copied and pasted from SAGE into a Word document.