Hear from our WOW fellows
WOW impacts students' lives. Click on the image above to learn about the program and some of our fellows and how WOW has influenced their careers.
This summer, 52 Brandeis students are interning in 40+ different industries across 8 states and 11 countries!
Follow their journeys into the World of Work on Hiatt's summer internship blog.
New WOW Blog Posts
World of Work Fellowships
Hiatt's WOW fellowship program is a highly competitive program that awards stipends to Brandeis undergraduates who pursue summer internships with organizations that are not be able to provide a salary. By eliminating financial barriers that could preclude students from following their career interests, the WOW program encourages students to use the summer to explore career fields, gain new skills, and experience the World of Work.
Types of WOW Awards
There are several types of WOW awards. Students will be considered for all appropriate sources of funding.
- Universal WOW for internships in any industry ($3000 stipend)
- Louis D. Brandeis Legacy Fund for Social Justice WOW for internships with organizations addressing social inequalities. Examples may include: web design for the United Way, accounting for the Holocaust Museum, research at the Anti-defamation League, social media marketing for Partners in Health, case work at a women's shelter, art therapy in a refugee camp, etc. Please contact Jackie Blesso if you need clarification on eligibility. ($4000)
- Judith Cossin Berkman '59 Endowed Internship Fund in Social Work for direct experience in social work, 1 available annually. ($5000 stipend)
- Theater WOW for an internship in the theater industry, 1 available annually. ($3000 stipend). Preference given to those in technical/behind-the-scenes internships.
- Science WOW for an internship in lab science or technical writing, 1 available annually. ($3000 stipend)
- Alexander P. Heckler/Governor Ann Richards Internship Fund in Politics/Public Service for public service internships in Washington, D.C., 1 available annually. ($3500 stipend)
- WOW also supports several, paid internships with premier social justice organizations who have reserved a slot exclusively for a Brandeis student. These opportunities can be found on B.hired. Deadlines in February.
The WOW application has five components. *CLICK HERE to view details for each application component.*
- An online application (essay questions, site info, biographical information)
- A letter of recommendation
- A resume
- A copy of your academic transcript
- A 'letter of offer' from your internship supervisor
Eligibility & Restrictions
- The internship must be:
- take place in the summer
- at least 8 weeks in length
- at least 200 hours of work
- You must be enrolled as Brandeis undergraduate students in Fall 2015
- First years, sophomores, juniors, and December 2015 grads are encouraged to apply
- Students studying abroad in Fall 2015 are eligible to apply
- BA/MA candidates must be returning as undergraduates in Fall 2015
- Your internship must be your primary summer activity. If you engage in any concurrent summer experience, WOW must be the more substantive experience, in terms of hourly commitment.
- You may not receive any additional funding for the internship (i.e. stipends from Brandeis or outside sources, housing/flight/food allowances, etc).
- You may create an internship on your own or secure an offer from an existing program. However, students who pursue internships that are arranged for them by an internship placement service or through a third-party organization are not eligible to apply. This includes any organization that requires fee-for-service, fee-for-materials, or mandatory donations to the organization.
- While some online/remote work is allowed, the bulk of your hours should be spent on-site. Please specify any remote work in your application.
- You may receive only one WOW fellowship during your Brandeis career.
- You must be in good academic and community standing.
- Visit our FAQs page for more information.
- If you have questions about your eligibility, please contact Jackie Blesso.
- WOW Internship Funding Brochure
- Tips for Finding an Internship
- Application Timeline
- Program Expectations
- Program Requirements
- Previous WOW Recipients
- WOW Learning-Based Outcomes