Below is a recommended timeline for completing the WOW application. Because you will require many documents from external sources (such as letter of offer from your employer, or letters of recommendation), we suggest that you start well before the deadline. However, you can work with Hiatt Career Center counselors to catch up at any point until the deadline.
- Drop into Hiatt Career Center to work on your resume. You will need an excellent resume, both to secure your internship and to complete your WOW application.
- Start researching and identifying organizations at which you would like to work.
- Speak to your faculty and former supervisors about letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation can take a long time to secure, especially from busy faculty members. Consider establishing a credentials file with the Interfolio service, available on Hiatt’s website.
Winter Break 2013-2014
- Utilize Hiatt's resources to identify internship opportunities.
- Speak with organizations about creating a new internship within their structure, or securing an already existing internship. Talk to them about the possibility of funding from Brandeis.
January 2014 & February 2014
- 2014 application launches on first day of classes
- Attend “Find or Create an Internship” workshop & “WOW Application” workshop at Hiatt (calendar of events on B.hired).
- Ask your references well ahead of the deadline for a recommendation. You should have this conversation even if you have not identified an internship site.
February 2014 (cont'd)
- Continue conversations with organizations to secure a “letter of offer.”
- Remind your contacts about letters of recommendation.
- Make an appointment with Hiatt to discuss your essay responses.
- Have a verbal offer from an internship site by the week of March 21, 2014.
- Secure a written letter of offer.
- Confirm with your references that letters of recommendation are complete.
- Complete the online application.
- Collect all materials and turn them in to Hiatt as one packet. The deadline is NOON on Tuesday, April 1, 2014. Incomplete or late applications cannot be accepted.Applicants are notified by email of the selection committee's decision by mid April.
- Selected fellows must submit acceptance materials by April 23, 2014.
- Selected fellows must attend the Pre-Departure Workshop on April 23, 2014.
- Selected fellows engage in their internships.
- Fellows are required to check in with a Hiatt counselor on the first day of work and at mid-point of their experience.
- Fellows contribute blog posts to the WOW blog.