Hiatt sponsors Biotech, Health & Science Forum (11/18)
Aug. 08, 2014
Thank you for your interest in the Brandeis Industry Night: Biotech, Health & Science co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center and Department of HSSP. See below for details about the event details and timeline, student preparation, registration, case challenge experts, industry professionals and learn about opportunities currently posted in B.hired.
This is Brandeis University’s marquee event focused on the fields of Biotech, Health & Science. This industry night is an annual opportunity for employer partners and alumni to provide over 200 Brandeis students, faculty and staff in the related disciplines with exciting insights into emerging business challenges and trends – both global and domestic. After a case competition, panelists and additional industry guests co-host networking that enable students to rotate through conversations with an array of experts who provide insights about their careers, academic backgrounds, and organizations.
Brandeis Industry Night: Biotech, Health & Science
"A multifaceted recruiting and networking experience."
Tuesday, September 18, 2014
Hassenfeld Conference Center
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.: Case Challenge and Attendee Registration
6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.: Panel
6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.: Industry Networking Rooms
About the event: In partnership with the Hiatt Career Center and Department of HSSP, industry nights are an opportunity for students to:
- Connect with industry professional about this and related industries
- Learn about new industries and organizations
- Explore different career paths
- Strengthen and build confidence in communication and networking skills
- Meet others who are interested in the same career fields
Industry nights have three components:
Case Challenge (Deadline to apply: November 4, 2014)
Pre-selected industry professionals bring their greatest challenge and Brandeis students solve it. Students will be divided into small teams of 4-6 and be provided a case study or exercise. Students will work collaboratively with their team to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to a panel of industry experts who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2014/15 academic year. Participants will:
- Gain in-depth insight into the types of problems field-specific industry professionals experience
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
- While this portion of the event is primarily for Juniors and Seniors, First Years and Sophomores are encouraged to attend, observe and learn.
- Juniors and Seniors are invited to participate (First Years and Sophomores are invited to observe and "sit-in")
- Apply via B.hired (Submit a response to the following: why would you be a good fit for this program? Please highlight any previous business/consulting/finance experience or knowledge in your response (200 words or less).)
- Have your resume Hiatt-approved
Panel of Experts
Panelists will respond to questions like, “How can students break into your industry?”, “What does your company look for in entry-level or intern candidates?” and “How can students make the most out of networking?”
Networking is divided into different rooms by industry cluster to help employers and students with matching interests connect more easily. You will join approximately 20 industry professionals in a dedicated networking room based on your primary career field/function interest area. You will receive a list of the industry representatives in each room and may rotate through the different rooms as you wish. You are welcome to ask questions about our guests’ career paths, organizations, fields, job functions, and such. All students are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
Tips to make the most of your experience:
- DO have an elevator pitch ready to introduce yourself to industry professionals.
- DO research the featured organizations and industry professionals before the event.
- DO ask specific questions about industry professional’s field, organization, job function or career path.
- DO try to not monopolize conversations and be respectful of the industry professional and your classmates’ time.
- DO feel free to ask about open internships or entry-level jobs at their organizations.
- DO feel free to distribute your business cards and resumes.
- DO follow up with the Career Center after the event to discuss how to optimize your recent connections.
- DO have fun!
Case Challenge Application: RSVP in B.hired > Home > Jobcs & Internships > Biotech, Health & Science
Undergraduate RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via B.hired > Events > Career Forums
Alumni RSVP (as an industry representative): Register here > Proceed to registration form
Alumni RSVP (as an attendee): Register here > Career Programs and Upcoming Events
Professional dress is required.
Downloadable spreadsheet coming soon!
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.