Hiatt sponsors Biotech, Health & Science Forum (11/18)
Oct. 29, 2014
Thank you for your interest in the Brandeis Industry Night: Biotech, Health & Science co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center and Department of HSSP. See below for details about the event details and timeline, student preparation, registration, case challenge experts, industry professionals and learn about opportunities currently posted in B.hired.
This is Brandeis University’s marquee event focused on the fields of Biotech, Health & Science. This industry night is an annual opportunity for employer partners and alumni to provide over 200 Brandeis students, faculty and staff in the related disciplines with exciting insights into emerging business challenges and trends – both global and domestic. After a case competition, panelists and additional industry guests co-host networking that enable students to rotate through conversations with an array of experts who provide insights about their careers, academic backgrounds, and organizations.
Brandeis Industry Night: Biotech, Health & Science
"A multifaceted recruiting and networking experience."
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Hassenfeld Conference Center
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.: Case Challenge and Attendee Registration
6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.: Welcome and Networking Kick-Off
6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.: Industry Networking Rooms
About the event: Sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center in partnership with the HSSP Department and Heller Career Development Center, industry nights are an opportunity for students to:
- Connect with industry professional about this and related industries
- Learn about new industries and organizations
- Explore different career paths
- Strengthen and build confidence in communication and networking skills
- Meet others who are interested in the same career fields
Industry nights have three components:
Case Challenge (Deadline to apply: November 4th, 2014)
Pre-selected industry professionals bring their greatest challenge and Brandeis students solve it. Students will be divided into small teams of 4-6 and be provided a case study or exercise. Students will work collaboratively with their team to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to a panel of industry experts who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2014/15 academic year. Participants will:
- Gain in-depth insight into the types of problems field-specific industry professionals experience
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
- While this portion of the event is primarily for Juniors and Seniors, First Years and Sophomores are encouraged to attend, observe and learn.
- Juniors and Seniors are invited to participate (First Years and Sophomores are invited to observe and "sit-in")
- Apply via B.hired (Submitting your resume & your answer to a brief essay question.)
- Have your resume Hiatt-approved
Networking is divided into different rooms by industry cluster to help employers and students with matching interests connect more easily. You will join approximately 20 industry professionals in a dedicated networking room based on your primary career field/function interest area. You will receive a list of the industry representatives in each room and may rotate through the different rooms as you wish. You are welcome to ask questions about our guests’ career paths, organizations, fields, job functions, and such. All students are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
Industry Night Drop-In Hours
Wednesday, November 11, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
Drop in to the Hiatt Career Center to meet with a Hiatt Advisor or Career Counselor to meet one-to-one (for 15 minutes) regarding your resume, specific prep for the Brandeis Industry Night: Biotech, Health and Science on November 18th, and/or other career development related topics.
No RSVP required.
Workshop: How to Work a Room - Tips for Networking at Events
Thursday, November 13, 12:00-1:00 p.m.
Networking can happen anywhere, so why not be prepared? This workshop will cover tips for making the most of casual interactions and face-to-face networking. This workshop will be especially beneficial for those planning to attend the Biotech, Health & Science Industry Night on 11/18.
RSVP in B.hired > Events > Workshops
Workshop: Using Social Media to Make Contacts & Research Companies
Thursday, November 13, 1:00-1:45 p.m.
Learn about making the most of your social media presence. Using Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook can be great ways to find information about employers and make connections. This workshop will be especially useful for those attending the Biotech, Health & Science Industry Night on 11/18.
RSVP in B.hired > Events > Workshops
Workshop: Industry Night Follow Up Strategy Sessions
Thursday, November 20, available sessions 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:30-4:00 p.m.
Build on the momentum created by attending the Biotech, Health and Science Industry Night! Come to Hiatt and discuss your experience with a counselor. Take stock of your networking accomplishments, strategize your follow up messages and create an action plan for next steps. Sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center.
RSVP in B. hired > Events > Workshops
Follow Up! Using LinkedIn to Build Your Network and Maintain Relationships
Thursday, November 20, 12:00-12:30 p.m.
Did you attend the Biotech & Health Industry Night? Want to make the most of your interactions that night? Or are you hoping to get a better handle on managing your LinkedIn connections? This 30 minute presentation will offer advice for maximizing your connections and continuing to engage with contacts.
RSVP in B.hired > Events > Workshops
Tips to make the most of your experience:
- DO have an elevator pitch ready to introduce yourself to industry professionals.
- DO research the featured organizations and industry professionals before the event.
- DO ask specific questions about industry professional’s field, organization, job function or career path.
- DO try to not monopolize conversations and be respectful of the industry professional and your classmates’ time.
- DO feel free to ask about open internships or entry-level jobs at their organizations.
- DO feel free to distribute your business cards and resumes.
- DO follow up with the Career Center after the event to discuss how to optimize your recent connections.
- DO have fun!
Case Challenge Application: RSVP in B.hired > Home > Jobcs & Internships > Biotech, Health & Science
Undergraduate RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via B.hired > Events > Career Forums
GSAS RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via GradHire > Events
Heller RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via HellerCareerConnect > Events
Alumni RSVP (as an industry representative): Register here > Proceed to registration form
Alumni RSVP (as an attendee): Register here > Career Programs and Upcoming Events
Professional dress is required.
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.