Biotech, Health & Science Industry Night (11/18)
Sep. 11, 2015
Event Quick Links:
Brandeis Industry Night: Biotech, Health & Science
Wednesday, November 18, 2015 | 4:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Hassenfeld Conference Center
Co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center, the HSSP Department and The Heller School, the industry night is an opportunity for students to learn about new fields, organizations and career paths from Brandeis alumni, parents and recruiters. The event is divided up into three parts:
Case Challenge (Deadline to apply extended: November 9 at 11:59 p.m.)
Pre-selected industry professionals bring their greatest challenge and Brandeis students solve it. Students will be divided into small teams of 4-6 and be provided a case study or exercise. Students will work collaboratively with their team to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to a panel of industry experts who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2015/16 academic year. Participants will:
- Gain in-depth insights into the types of challenges that employers in these industries face
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
Apply via B.hired (Submitting your resume & your answer to a brief essay question.)
Industry Networking | 6:30 p.m.
Networking is divided into different rooms by industry cluster to help employers and students with matching interests connect more easily. You will join approximately 20 industry professionals in a dedicated networking room based on your primary career field/function interest area. You will receive a list of the industry representatives in each room and may rotate through the different rooms as you wish. You are welcome to ask questions about our guests’ career paths, organizations, fields, job functions, and such. All students are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
A photographer will be available during the networking reception to take a professional photo of you for your LinkedIn profile.
Case Challenge Application: Apply via B.hired
Undergraduate & GSAS RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via B.hired > Fairs
Heller RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via HellerCareerConnect > Events
Professional dress is required.
Tips to make the most of your experience:
- DO have an elevator pitch ready to introduce yourself to industry professionals.
- DO research the featured organizations and industry professionals before the event.
- DO ask specific questions about industry professional’s field, organization, job function or career path.
- DO try to not monopolize conversations and be respectful of the industry professional and your classmates’ time.
- DO feel free to ask about open internships or entry-level jobs at their organizations.
- DO feel free to distribute your business cards and resumes.
- DO follow up with the Career Center after the event to discuss how to optimize your recent connections.
- DO have fun!
How to Work a Room: Prepping for the Biotech, Health & Science Industry Night
Tuesday, November 17, 2015 | 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Navigate the room with ease! This workshop will cover tips for engaging with employers, making conversation, and maximizing your time at the Biotech, Health & Science Industry Night.
Post Event Drop-Ins:
Post Biotech, Health and Science Drop-Ins
Friday, November 20, 2015 | 11am-1pm
Keep the momentum going from an exchange with an employer or alum at the Biotech, Health and Science Industry Night. Drop-in for 15 minutes of individual attention to help you make the best possible post-event impression. First come, first served.
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.