Business, Consulting, Finance & Marketing Night (9/10)
Aug. 26, 2015
Event Quick Links:
Brandeis Industry Night: Business, Consulting, Finance & Marketing
Thursday, September 10, 2015 | 4:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Hassenfeld Conference Center
Co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center, the International Business School (IBS) and the Business Program, the industry night is an opportunity for students to learn about new fields, organizations and career paths from Brandeis alumni, parents and recruiters. The event is divided up into three parts:
Case Challenge (Deadline to apply: Midnight, September 7, 2015)
Four employers representing each of the industries (business, consulting, finance and marketing) will bring a case study or exercise that asks students to address a business challenge or opportunity in their company. Students will be divided into teams of 4-6 and will work collaboratively to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to a panel of industry experts who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2015-16 academic year. Case challenge participants will:
- Gain in-depth insights into the types of challenges that employers in these industries face
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
Want to see what a case challenge is like? Watch the video below !
Undergraduates: To apply to the case challenge: Submit your resume and short essay response to the posting in B.hired. Essay question: why would you be a good fit for this program? Please highlight any previous business/consulting/finance experience or knowledge in your response (200 words or less). A Hiatt-approved resume is encouraged but not required to apply.
IBS students can apply to the case challenge here.
Welcome / Networking Kick-off | 6:00 p.m.
Hiatt Career Center staff members will welcome all attendees and provide an overview of the networking portion. Past student participants will offer tips for making the most of the event and share their own post-event success stories.
Industry Networking | 6:30 p.m.
Sherman Function Hall will be divided into four different sections by industry: business, consulting, finance and marketing. Industry representatives – including alumni, parents and recruiters – will be stationed in each section at cocktail tables with their name and employer so you can find them more easily. Attendees will receive a list of the industry representatives in each section, including sample conversation starters. Attendees are encouraged to ask questions about their career paths, organizations, fields and job functions. All students and alumni are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
Tips To Make The Most Of Your Experience:
- DO attend a pre or post event workshop (see below).
- DO wear professional attire.
- DO have an elevator pitch ready to introduce yourself to industry professionals.
- DO research the featured organizations and industry professionals before the event.
- DO ask specific questions about industry professionals’ fields, organizations, job functions and career paths.
- DO be respectful of the industry professional’s and your classmates’ time, and avoid monopolizing conversations.
- DO feel free to ask about open internships or entry-level jobs at their organizations.
- DO feel free to distribute your business card and resume.
- DO have fun!
BCFM Jumpstart Workshop
September 3, 2015 | 5:00 pm-6:30 pm
Brandeis faculty and career center staff will present insight about the Finance, Marketing and Consulting industries.
How to Work a Room: Prepping for the BCFM Industry Night
September 8, 2015 | 12:00 pm-1:00 pm
This workshop will cover tips for navigating the room, making small talk, and engaging employers at the event.
Follow-Up Workshop: Making the Most of the BCFM Industry Night
September 11, 2015 | 12:00 pm-1:00 pm
At this interactive workshop, you'll learn how to leverage the knowledge you gained and the contacts you made at the event.
Download this spreadsheet to see who is coming and learn more about their career! Download now!
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.