Hiatt Sponsors Marketing Industry Night (1/26)
Oct. 27, 2014
Thank you for your interest in the Brandeis Industry Night: Marketing co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center and the International Business School (IBS) Career Development Center. See below for details about the event details and timeline, student preparation, registration, case challenge experts, industry professionals and learn about opportunities currently posted in B.hired.
This is Brandeis University’s marquee event focused on the various facets of the field of Marketing. This industry night is an annual opportunity for employer partners and alumni to provide over 200 Brandeis students, faculty and staff in the related disciplines with exciting insights into emerging business challenges and trends – both global and domestic. After a case competition, panelists and additional industry guests co-host networking that enable students to rotate through conversations with an array of experts who provide insights about their careers, academic backgrounds, and organizations.
View photos from last year's Marketing event!
Program guide coming soon!
About the event: Sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center in partnership with the the International Business School (IBS) Career Development Center, industry nights are an opportunity for students to:
- Connect with industry professional about this and related industries
- Learn about new industries and organizations
- Explore different career paths
- Strengthen and build confidence in communication and networking skills
- Meet others who are interested in the same career fields
Industry nights have three components:
Pre-selected industry professionals bring their greatest challenge and Brandeis students solve it. Students will be divided into small teams of 4-6 and be provided a case study or exercise. Students will work collaboratively with their team to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to a panel of industry experts who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2014/15 academic year. Participants will:
- Gain in-depth insight into the types of problems field-specific industry professionals experience
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
- While this portion of the event is primarily for Juniors and Seniors, First Years and Sophomores are encouraged to attend, observe and learn.
- Juniors and Seniors are invited to participate (First Years and Sophomores are invited to observe and "sit-in")
- Apply via B.hired (Submitting your resume & your answer to a brief essay question.)
- Have your resume Hiatt-approved
Networking is divided into different rooms by industry cluster to help employers and students with matching interests connect more easily. You will join approximately 20 industry professionals in a dedicated networking room based on your primary career field/function interest area. You will receive a list of the industry representatives in each room and may rotate through the different rooms as you wish. You are welcome to ask questions about our guests’ career paths, organizations, fields, job functions, and such. All students are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
Tips to make the most of your experience:
- DO have an elevator pitch ready to introduce yourself to industry professionals.
- DO research the featured organizations and industry professionals before the event.
- DO ask specific questions about industry professional’s field, organization, job function or career path.
- DO try to not monopolize conversations and be respectful of the industry professional and your classmates’ time.
- DO feel free to ask about open internships or entry-level jobs at their organizations.
- DO feel free to distribute your business cards and resumes.
- DO follow up with the Career Center after the event to discuss how to optimize your recent connections.
- DO have fun!
Case Challenge Application: RSVP in B.hired > Home > Jobs & Internships > Marketing Case Challenge
Undergraduate RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via B.hired > Events > Career Forums
GSAS RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via GradHire > Events
IBS RSVP (Welcome, Networking): RSVP via CareerFOCUS > Events
Alumni: (as an attendee): Register here > Career Programs and Upcoming Events
Professional dress is required.
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.