Hiatt sponsors Marketing Industry Night (2/26)
Oct. 27, 2014
Thank you for your interest in the Brandeis Industry Night: Marketing co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center and the International Business School (IBS) Career Development Center. See below for details about the event details and timeline, student preparation, registration, case challenge experts, industry professionals and learn about opportunities currently posted in B.hired.
This is Brandeis University’s marquee event focused on the various facets of the field of Marketing. This industry night is an annual opportunity for employer partners and alumni to provide over 200 Brandeis students, faculty and staff in the related disciplines with exciting insights into emerging business challenges and trends – both global and domestic. After a case competition, panelists and additional industry guests co-host networking that enable students to rotate through conversations with an array of experts who provide insights about their careers, academic backgrounds, and organizations.
Brandeis Industry Night: Marketing
"A multifaceted recruiting and networking experience"
Thursday, February 26, 2015
Hassenfeld Conference Center
About the event: Sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center in partnership with the the International Business School (IBS) Career Development Center, industry nights are an opportunity for students to:
- Connect with industry professional about this and related industries
- Learn about new industries and organizations
- Explore different career paths
- Strengthen and build confidence in communication and networking skills
- Meet others who are interested in the same career fields
A panel of industry experts bring their greatest challenge and Brandeis students solve it. Panelists are:
- L'Oreal USA - Greta Fox '97, Campus Recruitment
- Michael Alan Group (NY-based non-traditional marketing and event production company) - Amy Spielholtz '03, Senior Account Executive (view bio)
- TJX Companies - Adrienne Santos, AVP, Talent Acquisition (view bio)
Students will be divided into small teams of 4-6 and be provided a case study or exercise. Students will work collaboratively with their team to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to the panelists who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2014/15 academic year. Participants will:
- Gain in-depth insight into the types of problems field-specific industry professionals experience
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
- While this portion of the event is primarily for Juniors and Seniors, First Years and Sophomores are encouraged to attend, observe and learn.
- Juniors and Seniors are invited to participate (First Years and Sophomores are invited to observe and "sit-in")
- Apply via B.hired (Submitting your resume & your answer to a brief essay question.)
Networking is divided into different rooms by industry cluster to help employers and students with matching interests connect more easily. You will join approximately 20 industry professionals in a dedicated networking room based on your primary career field/function interest area. You will receive a list of the industry representatives in each room and may rotate through the different rooms as you wish. You are welcome to ask questions about our guests’ career paths, organizations, fields, job functions, and such. All students are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
Click on the event title to RSVP.
How to Work a Room - Tips for Networking at Events
Tuesday, February 24, 2015, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Networking can happen anywhere, so why not be prepared? This workshop will cover tips for making the most of casual interactions and face-to-face networking. This workshop will be especially beneficial for those planning to attend the Marketing Industry Night.
Research Contacts & Companies Using Social Media
Tuesday, February 24, 2015, 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
Using Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook can be great resources of information about potential employers and can also help you build your professional network. Come learn useful tips from the Hiatt Career Center. This workshop will be especially useful for those attending the Marketing Industry Night.
Industry Night Follow-Up Strategy Sessions
Friday, February 27, available sessions 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Build on the momentum created by attending the Marketing Industry Night! Come to Hiatt and discuss your experience with a counselor. Take stock of your networking accomplishments, strategize your follow up messages and create an action plan for next steps.
Tips to make the most of your experience:
- DO have an elevator pitch ready to introduce yourself to industry professionals.
- DO research the featured organizations and industry professionals before the event.
- DO ask specific questions about industry professional’s field, organization, job function or career path.
- DO try to not monopolize conversations and be respectful of the industry professional and your classmates’ time.
- DO feel free to ask about open internships or entry-level jobs at their organizations.
- DO feel free to distribute your business cards and resumes.
- DO follow up with the Career Center after the event to discuss how to optimize your recent connections.
- DO have fun!
- Case Challenge Application: Apply via B.hired > Jobs & Internships > Marketing Case Challenge
- Undergraduate RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via B.hired > Events > Career Forums
- GSAS RSVP (Panel, Networking): RSVP via GradHire > Events
- IBS RSVP (Welcome, Networking): RSVP via CareerFOCUS > Events
- Alumni (as an attendee): Register here
Professional dress is required.
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.