New Date! SoJust Industry Night rescheduled for 3/3
Oct. 26, 2014
Thank you for your interest in the Brandeis Industry Night: SoJust, co-sponsored by the Hiatt Career Center, Career Development Center at The Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Department of Community Service, and International Center for Ethics, Justice and Public Life. See below for the event details and timeline, student preparation, registration, case challenge experts, industry professionals, and job and internship opportunities currently posted in B.hired.
This will be the capstone event that comprises 'DEIS Impact, Brandeis' weeklong festival of social justice. Featuring Brandeis alumni and other professionals in diverse fields including education, law and activism, this event will inspire current Brandeis students to see how their passions and experiences – through academics, volunteerism, internships and campus leadership – can translate into a career in public service and social justice.
Brandeis Industry Night: SoJust
"A multifaceted recruiting and networking experience"
New date! Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Hassenfeld Conference Center
View photos from the 2014 SoJust Leadership Forum.
4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.: Case Challenge and Attendee Registration
6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.: Welcome and Networking Kick-Off
6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.: Industry Networking Rooms
About the event: Industry nights are an opportunity to:
- Connect with industry professionals about careers that make a difference
- Learn about new industries and organizations
- Explore different career paths
- Strengthen and build confidence in communication and networking skills
- Meet others who are interested in similar career fields and missions
Professional dress strongly recommended.
Case Challenge (Deadline extended to 2/18)
Industry professionals bring their greatest challenge and pre-selected Brandeis students solve it. Participating employers include:
- Ben & Jerry's - Ryan Midden, General Manager, Ben & Jerry’s Boston + Chairman, Fair Trade Boston (view bio)
- Lawrence Public Schools - Leo Flanagan, Vice Superintendent
- OXFAM America - Vinod Parmeshwar, Global Staffing and HR Operations Manager (view bio)
Students will be divided into small teams of 4-6 and be provided a case study or exercise. Students will work collaboratively with their team to develop solutions to these exercises. Teams will present their solutions to a panel of industry experts who seek to help students develop professionally and whose organizations are committed to recruiting at Brandeis for jobs and/or internships during the 2014/15 academic year. Participants will:
- Gain in-depth insight into the types of industry problems field-specific industry professionals experience
- Learn how approaches to challenges differ from organization to organization
- Strengthen communication and networking skills by presenting to professionals through group pitch presentations
- All Brandeis students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend/sit-in, observe and learn
- All class years are invited to participate
- Apply via B.hired by February 18 (Submit your resume & your answer to a brief essay question.)
Networking is divided into different rooms by industry cluster to help employers and students with matching interests connect more easily. You will join approximately 20 industry professionals in a dedicated networking room based on your primary career field/function interest area. You will receive a list of the industry representatives in each room and may rotate through the different rooms as you wish. You are welcome to ask questions about our guests’ career paths, organizations, fields, job functions, and such. All students are welcome regardless of major, class year or stage of career development.
- Case Challenge Application: RSVP via B.hired by 2/18 > Jobs & Internships
- Undergraduate Students: RSVP via B.hired > Events > Forums
- GSAS RSVP (Welcome, Networking): RSVP via GradHire > Events
- Heller RSVP (Welcome, Networking): RSVP via HellerCareerConnect > Events
- IBS RSVP (Welcome, Networking): RSVP via CareerFOCUS > Events
- Alumni: RSVP here
Professional dress is strongly recommended.
Click on the event title to RSVP.
How to Work a Room - Tips for Networking at Events
Tuesday, February 24, 2015, 2:30 - 3:30 p.m.
Networking can happen anywhere, so why not be prepared? This workshop will cover tips for making the most of casual interactions and face-to-face networking. This workshop will be especially beneficial for those planning to attend the SoJust Industry Night.
Research Contacts & Companies Using Social Media
Tuesday, February 24, 2015, 2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
Using Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook can be great resources of information about potential employers and can also help you build your professional network. Come learn useful tips from the Hiatt Career Center. This workshop will be especially useful for those attending the SoJust Industry Night.
**Please note: This sortable spreadsheet will be updated periodically, so be sure to check back often. For additional resources on how to do research and connect via LinkedIn, review Hiatt's LinkedIn 101.