- Participate in a 35 hour per week, Monday-Friday, internship program
- Produce, under staff supervision, an original piece of scholarly research or a creative and/or artistic project that focuses on Jewish gender issues
- Assist HBI-affiliated scholars and Brandeis offices with research and administrative tasks
- Learn about the daily operations of an academic research institute by occasionally assisting with administrative tasks
- Visit local institutions and organizations of Jewish interest
- Meet local community activists
- Live on the Brandeis campus in subsidized housing
- Receive a weekly stipend
How to Apply
Please submit each of the following items through the online application.
- Two paragraphs identifying which TWO of the Supervised Projects listed below are of interest and a description of your qualifications.
A 500-word essay explaining your interest in Jewish gender studies.
- One or two project ideas for an independent project
- Two references; one academic and one work related (extra curricular activity; work study; etc.) Can be emailed directly to email@example.com
- C.V. / Resumé
Application deadline: Thursday, April 2, 2015.
The Hadassah-Brandeis Institute MS 079
Supervised Undergraduate Projects (Summer 2015)
For complete project description, click on link to download the .pdf version
Jewish Feminist Theology, Human Rights and Sustainable Development
Raj Sampath, Heller School for Social Change and Mangement
Assist on a new project that examines the feminist debates in development that argue for the increase of women’s capabilities and rights, particularly in non-Western development contexts, through the lens of a feminist interpretation of Chapters 2 and 3 of Genesis on the creation of man and woman, and the Fall.
The Words to Say It: An Exploration of the Use - and Abuse - of Language in Activism for Social Justice
Janet Freedman, Women's Studies Research Center Scholar
Assist and engage with Dr. Freedman as she looks at the lexicon of activism, and how words are used to direct debate, particularly as it refers to feminism and Israel.
Gender, Justice and Dialogue in Jewish Divorce
Lisa Fishbayn Joffe, Director of the Project on Gender, Culture, Religion and Law
Assist in the preparation of Dr. Fishbayn Joffe's manuscript “Gender, Justice and Dialogue in Jewish Divorce.”
Communications and Social Media Intern
Amy Sessler Powell, HBI Director of Communications
Michelle Cove, Editor, 614: The HBI eZine
Assist the HBI Communications Director with developing an online media strategy to increase the reach of the work of the HBI and of "614: The HBI eZine."
Jewish Emigration from Austria to Chile
Marjorie Agosin, Professor of Latin American Studies and Spanish, Wellesley College
Assist Dr. Agosin on a research project focused on Jewish emigration from Austria to Chile.
Dirshuni: Israeli Women Writing Midrash
Tamar Biala, HBI Helen Gartner Hammer Scholar in Residence 2015
Assist Ms. Biala in the preparation of the translation of her book Dirshuni, an anthology of women's midrash.
A Feminist Commentary on the Babylonian Talmud: Tractate Arakhin
Rabbi Jane Kanarek, Hebrew College
Assist with the research for a feminist commentary of the Babylonian Talmud, tractate Arakhin.