Dependent Health Insurance

The commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all individuals living in Massachusetts to obtain adequate health insurance.

Medical services in the United States are expensive.  A trip to the emergency room or hospitalization can result in large bills for those without adequate health insurance coverage. 

As a reminder, all J-2 dependents must maintain adequate health insurance coverage while in the United States as defined by the regulations governing the J Exchange Visitor Program.

If your dependent family members do not have sufficient medical insurance coverage from their home country that extends to the United States, they will need to purchase appropriate insurance to cover them while they are living in Massachusetts.

Short-term insurance plans can be purchased in a variety of plan lengths specifically for visiting the United States.