Applying for a U.S. Driver's License

After living one year in the U.S., you will not be able to drive with an international driver’s license. You will have to get a Massachusetts Driver’s License. In order to get a Massachusetts Driver’s License, you will need to take: three forms of identification that show your date of birth, proof of Massachusetts residency (e.g.: utility bill, lease, mortgage statement, Brandeis ID), a social security number "SSN" (or a letter from the Social Security Administration stating your ineligibility to receive an SSN), and your visa documents.  For more information contact:

Registry of Motor Vehicles - Watertown, MA     
Watertown Mall        
550 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA        
Telephone Number (Massachusetts RMV Telephone Center, available): (857) 368-8000 or (800) 858-3926   

Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles website:

Buying a car

The purchase and maintenance of a car in Massachusetts can be quite expensive. In addition to the cost of the car, you are required to pay insurance, as well as sales and excise taxes. Used cars are sold through dealers and privately through the classified section of newspapers. One great online source for car reviews and average prices is We recommend that you have used cars examined by a mechanic before you buy it, and ensure that you receive a certificate of ownership along with the bill of sale. A good way to decrease the price of insurance is to bring a letter of recommendation from your insurance back home. There are some insurance companies that will even give you a discount if you provide them with a transcript of good grades.  Available parking can also be scarce and/or expensive, depending on where you live. In order to be able to park your car in Brandeis, you will have to get a parking sticker. For more information, call the Brandeis Parking and Traffic office (781) 736-4250.