Travel Signatures, Windstar Tax Software, and Other Reminders
Mar. 12, 2013
Massachusetts State Forms Are Now Available For Processing Within FNTR!
If you are using the Windstar Foreign National Tax Resource Software in order to file tax returns, Massachusetts state forms are now available for processing within FNTR in addition to the 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ federal forms. Missouri and Virginia state forms will be available March 20th.
The ISSO sent out a Tax Edition of ISSO news last month with detailed information about taxes. Please read the email, as well as the Tax Information on our website, for how to file your tax returns. In addition, some important reminders are:
- All international students & scholars are required to file tax returns by April 15, 2013, whether you earned U.S.-sourced income in 2012 or not.
- If you did not earn U.S. sourced income in 2012, all you have to do is mail Form 8843 by April 15, 2013.
- If you did earn U.S.-sourced income in 2012, please see the Tax Information section of the ISSO website and read the ISSO News Tax Edition for more detailed information on how to file your tax returns.
- Lastly, remember that the ISSO provides Windstar Tax Software codes for $5 to assist you with filing your tax returns. If you used Windstar last year, you still need to pay $5 again but the software will have your information saved. Windstar Tax Software will assist you with both U.S. Federal Tax Returns and Massachusetts State Tax Returns. To purchase a Windstar code, come to the ISSO with $5 cash and your student ID.
Please read the instructions below:
- If you are willing to travel overseas during the March break, don't forget to travel with a valid travel signature on your most current I-20/DS-2019! Travel signature is valid for six months and you can travel multiple times during the six months.
- If you need a new signature, you can leave your I-20 or DS-2019 with the ISSO and retrieve it the following business day.
- If you have a DS-2019 and the sponsor is not Brandeis, then contact your sponsor for a travel signature.
- If you received an email from the ISSO letting you know that you have a new I-20 or DS-2019, make sure you pick it up before you travel.
Please plan in advance!