Quick Tips for Traveling

  • Bring your most recent visa docuiment (I-20, DS-2019, I-797, etc) including a valid travel signature, in your carry-on bag.  Sponsored students should contact their sponsoring agency to obtain a valid travel signature. Failure to have all required documents may jeopardize your ability to re-enter the U.S.
  • J-1 scholars:  In addition to the travel tips above, we advise that you carry a copy of your most recent appointment letter with you.
  • H1B scholars: You need your H1B approval notice.  If you need to apply for or renew your H1B entry visa stamp in your passport, you should also carry the copy of your H1B application.
  • Renew / extend your visa or passport if they are expired or will expire in the near future.
  • Check visa requirements before you travel to other countries (including transit visas) before you travel.
  • If you are approved for F-1 OPT or J1 Academic Training, travel with your valid EAD, a letter from your current employer verifying employment, and proof of payment or proof of available funds to cover your living expenses in the US.
  • Keep your immigration documents safe during your travels.
  • Trouble at the U.S. Port of Entry?   Call the ISSO Front Desk (781) 736-3480 during week days or Public Safety (781) 736-5000 on holidays, weekends or after business hours.