Configuring Your Course Settings
One of the first steps you should take in building your LATTE course is configuring the course settings.
Course settings determine much of how your course will appear and what students will be able to do within your LATTE course.
Students will not be able to access your course unless you make it available to them. Learn how to publish your LATTE course to students.
Finding Your Course Settings
1. From your MyLATTE page, click on the name of the course you want to work in.
2. Click the "Settings" link within the Administration block on the right-hand side of the course homepage.
3. The course settings page will appear.
4. After you change your settings, click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page to have these changes go into effect.
Choosing Your Course Settings
Faculty members may change the following course settings:
- Availability: This setting makes your course available to your students. You must select "This course is available to students" and save the changes on the course settings page before your course will be published in LATTE for student use.
- Format: The format your LATTE course will take. We recommend either the "topic" or "weekly" format.
- Number of Weeks/Topics: Enter the number of weeks or topics in your course. You can always come back to change this.
- Course Start Date: This is provided automatically by the Registrar and shows on your course outline only in the weekly course format. You can change the course start date to fall on whatever date you would like, including the first day of your class. The date you choose for the start of the course will be displayed as the start of week 1. In this way you can choose whether to start the weekly sections on a Monday, Tuesday, etc.
- Hidden Sections: This setting determines whether sections in the weekly or topic format will show only the heading or be completely hidden until you choose to make the section visible to your students.
- Show Grades: This setting determines whether students will see their own grades you enter in the LATTE course or whether their grades will be hidden from them. A student can never see another student's grades.
- News Items to Show: Number of news and announcements that will show in the Latest news block. News items appear when an instructor or assistant posts to the "News & Announcements" forum. The Latest news block must be added by the instructor for news and announcements to show.
- Show Activity Reports: Instructor and assistants may view the online activities of a student within a class by clicking on the "Reports" link under the Administration block. The default setting of "Yes" also allows students to view their own online activities within the course; setting it to "No" will not allow students to view their own activity report.
- Groups (Group Mode and Force): Groups are an advanced feature in LATTE, and faculty members interested in learning about creating and using student groups in LATTE should contact LATTE Help for further guidance.
- Force Language: You can change your course's default language from English to another language. This setting will not translate content written in another language.
Registrar-Controlled Settings and Other Enrollment Settings
Many settings are provided by the Registrar or are default settings necessary to control how students are enrolled in your course. If you have questions about a certain Registrar-controlled or other enrollment settings, please contact LATTE Help at x6LTTE or firstname.lastname@example.org.