Frequently Asked Questions

Student gets a helping hand at orientation

Expand All / Collapse All

When and how can I register for fall and spring courses?

First-year students will be mailed a postcard in the middle of June with information about course registration. A great resource for first-year students is the New Student Academic Information and Registration Handbook which gives an outline of recommended courses for first-year students and information about placement tests. For additional questions about registration, you can contact the Office of the University Registrar at (781) 736-2010.

For those seeking academic advising over the summer, contact the Office of Academic Services at (781) 736-3470. You will be assigned your academic advisor and have the opportunity to meet him or her at Orientation.

Who will my roommate(s) be?

You will receive your housing assignment and your future roommate(s)'s contact information to your Brandeis email address. We encourage you to contact your roommate(s) before you arrive to get to know each other and decide if you will be sharing items and what you will be bringing to your living space. If you have any housing questions feel free to call the Department of Community Living at (781) 736-5060.

What does the university provide for my room and what should I bring from home?

For a detailed list of what Brandeis provides and what you should bring from home (or buy when you get to Waltham), refer to your Pre-Arrival Guide.

What should I do about bedding and towels?

Let's face it, bringing your own bedding can be difficult if you need to have it shipped from far away. Fortunately the Student Service Bureau at Brandeis sells a variety of different packages which include sheets, towels, comforters, pillows, etc. The Student Service Bureau information will be included in the June Orientation mailing so you can order your items.

You can also bring your own bedding or buy bedding at a Target or Bed Bath and Beyond store once you get to the Waltham area. Be sure to purchase extra long twin sheets and comforters!

Do I need to have a computer?

While you are not required to have your own computer, they are nice to have. There are four computer clusters on campus that are for student use, but they become scarce during midterms and finals. Just because your roommate says that you can use his or her computer now, does not mean that you both won't need it at the same time.

You may decide to purchase a personal computer system. Brandeis has arranged for competitive prices on new computers made by Dell and Apple computers for students. If you buy a computer through this plan, you get a four-year warranty instead of the usual two-year warranty. Brandeis also offers on-campus certified warranty repair service for Dell and Apple computers. For Dell and Apple purchasing information, visit the Library & Technology Services (LTS) website. If you do choose to bring a computer, there is a place in every room for each student to connect to the university computer network. Brandeis is a wireless campus, so students with laptops can connect to the internet from anywhere on campus.

Can I have a car on campus?

First-year and sophomore students cannot have cars on campus. One of Brandeis' greatest assets is that you do not need a car to have fun! There is a free Waltham van and shuttle service to take you to the grocery store, drug stores, movie theater and local restaurants (of which there are many of all different styles). With the proximity of the commuter rail (Brandeis has its own train stop!) and the free shuttle bus to Boston on the weekends, it is very easy to get around.

How will the voicemail system work?

The voicemail system is a Cisco Unity System. Instructions for setting up and using students' personal voicemail systems are available on the LTS website.

Can I work on-campus? Where can I go find a job on campus?

Students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) or University Employment (for international students) as part of their financial aid award receive hiring priority. All students must have a valid social security number issued by the U.S. government in order to begin working. Save time by bringing your passport or social security card to campus with you! Complete the required forms in order to work on campus. There are no exceptions to the Federal laws of Employment Eligibility Verification.

All available positions are posted on the On-Campus Job Opportunities page.

For more information, please visit the Office of Student Financial Services on the second floor of Usdan Student Center or call (781) 736-3700.

I took AP classes in high school. How can I get these credits to transfer?

For specific information on each AP exam, see the Advanced Placement Chart and Brandeis University Bulletin. To claim your credit for AP examinations, you will need to visit the Office of the University Registrar (Kutz 121). Students may claim AP credit(s) after their second semester at Brandeis University. For courses taken at other universities, contact Irene Widugiris, transfer credit specialist in the Registrar's Office at (781) 736-2014.

I doubt I will eat breakfast every day. What's the deal with the meal plan?

Dining Services offers a variety of different meal plans for students. For more information on dining plan options, visit the Campus Card Office in Kutz Hall or call (781) 736-4230. 

So, what is there to do around here?

There are tons of things to do at Brandeis! On campus, there are movies, dances and performances. You can also go into Waltham to watch a movie or eat dinner. Or you can go to Boston and see a concert, go shopping, have dinner, walk the Freedom Trail, go on a Duck Tour, visit Faneuil Hall, watch street performer, go dancing or take in a sporting event. The World Champion Boston Red Sox are only a train ride away!

How can I get involved in "Brandeis Life" right away?

One great place to start is the Student Clubs and Organizations website. This site gives you the opportunity to explore clubs. Club email addresses are available if you have any questions. Another great place to learn about clubs is the Activities Fair, which will take place during Orientation. This event gives you a chance to meet representatives of different clubs on campus and to find out how to join those that interest you.

Are there ATMs on campus?

Yes. There is a Sovereign Bank ATM in the Usdan Student Center and there is a Citizen's Bank ATM in the Shapiro Campus Center. There is a Bank of America ATM located in Gosman Gym and just off campus in the Village Market Shopping Center. All three banks have student checking account options and branches on Main Street in Waltham. If you do not have a checking account when you arrive on campus, there will be representatives from the banks here to help you set up an account.

Can I get help setting up my computer on campus?

Help Desk staff will be on hand in the residence halls on Opening Sunday to help you with any computer or telephone issues. The Help Desk provides computer and telephone tech support for students, by students. The Help Desk operates out of the Main Library and is open 70 hours a week for phone and walk-in service: x9UNET (781-529-8638). To learn more and for lots of helpful information, please visit the Help Desk online.