Snow and Make Up Days

Feb. 10, 2015

Dear Students,

I know the decision to cancel 4 days of school and today’s decision to open with a delayed start have resulted in many challenges for our community In recent days those who rely on public transportation to get to Brandeis have found themselves facing hours of commuting as well as loss of service In addition, the process of rescheduling so many missed classes has resulted in new conflicts in the timing of classes, and I want to take the opportunity to update you on the current policies.

No institution-wide make up days are planned at this point. Instructors have discretion to schedule make up class sessions within the current term. In some cases, even when the Office of the Registrar schedules them, make-up class sessions may conflict with previously scheduled classes, however any make-up sessions have to be optional for students and students cannot be penalized for missing. Study days and final exam schedules will not be changed. Barring any further closings, we are not looking to hold any mandatory classes on vacation days.

I will keep you posted if there are any changes or updates to these policies. I am so thankful for the hard work of our facilities, grounds, and custodial staff for having our campus ready to open today - and in fact far better shape than most communities in the area. The coming days will require continuing patience as, sadly, more snow is expected towards the end of this week. We will endeavor to make the best decisions possible for our community regarding these unprecedented weather events, and do all we can to support one another. Even with our best efforts there are likely to always be slippery areas across any campus in such circumstances, so please go carefully and cautiously.

Best wishes,

Lisa Lynch

Lisa M. Lynch, PhD
Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and

Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy
Brandeis University

assistant: Kristen Stevens, kstevens@brandeis.edu
phone: 781-736-2101