Office of the Provost

Grants Awarded for Innovations in Teaching and Research

Aug. 10, 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am delighted to share the grants awarded in late spring through our program to support innovations in teaching and research at Brandeis. $335,000 was awarded to 28 projects selected from proposals totaling over $900,000. The recipients and the titles of their projects are listed below.

Teaching innovation grants focus on innovations in teaching and student assessment, with special preference given to proposals that look at ways of addressing issues of diversity and inclusion, and to team teaching/interdisciplinary course design. Research innovation awards are aimed at early stage research to initiate innovative scholarly inquiry and creative activities that have the potential for significant, sustained impact. I want to extend my sincere gratitude to the members of the two committees that had the challenge of evaluating all of the proposals submitted. Teaching Committee: Karen Muncaster (chair), Kerry Chase, Jen Cleary, Susan Dibble, Irina Dubinina, Charles Golden, Tim Hickey, Melissa Kosinski-Collins, and Carol Osler. Research Committee: Ed Hackett (chair), Gannit Ankori, John Burt, Kathryn Graddy, Sarah Lamb, Cindy Thomas, and John Wardle.

Congratulations to all those funded!

I hope you will join me at the “Celebration of Scholarly Inquiry” on October 19, and the “Teaching Innovation Showcase” (date TBA), where previous recipients will present their work to date. Details coming soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa M. Lynch, Provost

Lisa M. Lynch
Provost and Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy
Brandeis University
781-736-2101