Quick Facts About The Online Writing Assessment
2014 Writing Assessment Period
- May 5, 2014 -May 27, 2014
Length of Time
- The assessment will take about 90 minutes to complete. It must be completed over a single session.
Login Information & Technical Issues
- Contact Shohreh Harris (email@example.com)
- You will receive an email informing you of the result by June 11.
- June 12- June 24: You will be allowed to choose and rank 7 University Writing Seminars. Instructions about UWS ranking will be sent via email.
- July 10 - July 16: You will be able to register for Fall 2014 courses during the Summer Registration period.
Online Writing Assessment 2014
Writing skills are essential for your academic success at Brandeis. To give us a sense of where you currently are as a writer, we have created an Online Writing Assessment. This will allow us to determine the writing skills you already possess as we plan to enhance and develop these skills in your first year writing courses (Composition and University Writing Seminars). We will review your writing assessment in advance of registration activities, which start in mid-June, and will notify you by email regarding your placement in the first year writing courses.
This assessment will also provide baseline information as we measure the development of undergraduate writing skills over four years of study at Brandeis.
You will be receiving an email on May 5, inviting you to participate in the online writing assessment. All assessments must be complete by May 27. Students who do not complete the assessment by May 27 may be assigned to a Composition course prior to summer registration.
What to Expect:
The assessment must be completed in one session. You will need to allow about 90 minutes of time to complete the assessment. Once you have completed answering a section, you will not be able to go back and update your answers.
|International Experience Questionnaire||No time limit|
|Short Essay||15 minutes|
Please Note: Do not begin the assessment until you have at least 90 minutes to devote to it.
Accessing the Assessment:
- The preferred method to access the assessment, is via a secure browser (SecureTG).
- Download SecureTG for PC
- Download SecureTG for Mac
- Public computers may not allow you to download or run SecureTG. If you cannot download SecureTG, you can access the Writing Assessment at brandeis.mytgweb.com. This will allow you to take the assessment via any browser. But when using other browsers, take the following measures to avoid problems:
- Do not copy and paste your answers.
- Be sure to keep your cursor in the answer text box. When focus is away from the text box and on any other part of the window, clicking backspace or enter can lead to unpredictable behavior.
- Do not use special controls keys that you may use in text editors. For example, ctrl z clears the current text box.
- Once you've successfully downloaded the files, run SecureTG.exe.
- Login information is provided in your invitation and reminder emails. The initial email invitation was sent on May 5. If you have not received such an email, please contact Shohreh Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request your login information for the writing assessment.
Results of the Assessment:
Your assessment will be reviewed by the Office of University Writing, and you will be informed via email about an appropriate writing course before June 11.
If you have questions about the assessment and/or results please contact the Senior Academic Coordinator for the Writing Program, Rebecca Mahoney (email@example.com).
For questions regarding the secure browser, login and technical issues with the assessment, please contact Shohreh Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org) in The Office of the University Registrar.